Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i have a 08 3500 dually and for the past week ive been having my abs light kick on and lose of the cruise. no other warning lights and the speedo is working perfect. the 1st time it did this the truck was just sitting in the driveway running.someone on here said that the rear sensor controlled the cruise so i replaced it with no change.i have the edge cts2 that i use for all my gauges literally won't haul without it. but the touch screen isn't working so i can't scan with it and if i unplug it to use a normal scanner i won't be able to get it working again until i send it back. so im trying to figure this out old school basically throwing parts at it .would a front sensor affect the cruise? or the 2 speed sensors on the side of the trans?
thanks
jason

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
@jpryorx2 This sounds exactly like a issue I had with my 2008 2500 6.7, I have posted this quite a few times in a few other discussions, but here is a paragraph I copy pasted for you, if you have any questions or need more info, just let me know.

When my ABS and Brake light stayed on, I also had intermittent Cruise Control that would work or not work, or cancel cruise randomly, my Speedo was just fine too. Either way, my problem was in the wiring harness that went down the frame to the rear speed sensor on top of the rear axle. What I did to fix it, was install a new sensor, clip the wires close to the plug that plugs into the sensor a few inches away enough to re-splice into them with new wires. Then completely bypass the existing harness/wires and followed the same 2 wires up by the front driver door, then re-spliced into the same 2 wires up there with my 2 newly ran ones, completely bypassing any potential broken wire, and problem was/ and has been solved since.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i will try to trace those wires today that would be a alot easier fix then pulling the front hubs again. i drive for living so not having my cruise is killing me. its just strange how it comes goes i can be driving down the road and have the light pop on and cruise disengage then 2 minutes later the light is off and cruise works again other times it will stay on all day. i just rolled 500k so figured something was gonna go wrong soon hopefully this is it
jason

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
@jpryorx2 That EXACTLY was the same issue I had, couldn't be any more exact, and drove me up a wall as well lol, I can't remember where I got the idea from but I knew these model years had issues with wires becoming fragile within the harness. But yea just run 2 new wires from as close as the sensor as you can up as far as you can trace them to bypass anything broken, and you should be golden. I think I was able to run mine all the way up by the front driver side door and fender area, there is a bunch that run into a black box inside the fender in that area. I can't remember the color of the wires or I would tell you, I might be able to go crawl under my truck and find out sometime later today.

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
@jpryorx2 And I guess when I mean trace the wires in the harness, I just ment...find the 2 colors that are connecting to each wire at the sensor and snip them, then follow the harness up to where you can splice up by the door, and look for the same 2 colored wires, and splice the 2 new wires into them there.

Unless you want to trace, I just wanted to bypass the problem all together. And running 2 new wires was so much easier than tracing looking for a break. I just left the original wires in the harness and moved along. And secured the 2 new wires up with zipties and/or electrical tape.

You will figure it out, but if you need anything, just ask.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
im getting ready to go lay under it in the rain.do the wires go into the big connector behind the wheel well? i've had connection issues with that connector before with my trailer wiring. so that will be the first place i'll check if so i just hate random issues like this. atleast if it would stay on id know when i found the problem.
jason

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
@jpryorx2 I think we are talking about the same connector. This is a random picture I pulled from google but it pretty much describes the connector and location.

1212121121.png

·
Registered
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins 4x4 Mega Cab
227 Posts
Also check your front hub bearings too, had mine go out a couple days after I experienced the same symptoms on my 08 mega SRW, in case you don't have any luck with the aforementioned advice.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Reactions: Luckkide

·
08 Cummins
2,217 Posts
i will try to trace those wires today that would be a alot easier fix then pulling the front hubs again. i drive for living so not having my cruise is killing me. its just strange how it comes goes i can be driving down the road and have the light pop on and cruise disengage then 2 minutes later the light is off and cruise works again other times it will stay on all day. i just rolled 500k so figured something was gonna go wrong soon hopefully this is it
jason
You can replace the ABS sensors without pulling the hubs. You would just need to pull the rotors off to access them.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok so i did some more redneck dianostics before cut the wires. with the truck running i unplug the rear sensor the abs plus the red brake light come on. which leads me to believe it isn't the problem because the red brake light has never came on also i forgot to put i replaced that sensor 2 days ago. but if i unplug the front sensors only my abs light comes on like its been doing.so i checked resistance and the drivers side has 18k ohms and the passenger side only has 5k ohms. i also checked a brand new bearing that was bad out of the box and never sent back sitting here and it reads 19k ohms so i would think the passenger side bearing is my problem. my line of thought about pulling the hub is i have to go thru the hassle of pulling the wheel adapter since its a dually im only 1 nut and 4 bolts away from changing the bearing as a preventive measure. that bearing has around 100k miles on it and the driver side only has about 50k.

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
@jpryorx2 Very sorry for leading you on a goose chase then, I apologize, I thought I understood that your red BRAKE light was coming on. It does sound like you found the problem though, very good job! Hopefully you get that cruise control back.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
no apology needed i could easily overlook something an without being able to scan it right now i was at a loss.i drive commercially so don't want to take the chance thats its just a bad sensor and then have a wheel bearing lock up on the rd and chance getting hurt or hurting someone else so its a small price to pay for the peace of mind. i was a 1/4 mile behind the grayhound wreck in new mexico 2 years ago and saw the devastation first hand before the bodies were even removed. and that was all caused by a trucks front bearing locking up then he hit the bus head on.thanks for the help my kid is picking up the new bearing after work so hopefully that fixes it.
jason

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
new bearing is in i've nly drove it abut 5 miles but so far no light and i have cruise

jason

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
@jpryorx2 Very good to hear, glad you got it fixed, enjoy your future travels and that working cruise control again!

Reactions: jpryorx2

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i guess i spoke to soon just went to town to fuel it up for tomorrows load and while it was sitting at the pump running the abs light popped on again it actually turned on and off at least 4 times while i was in the parking lot. would the the 2 speed sensors on the side of the trans trigger the light? also could it be that my body computer is screwing up because it will also randomly op up saying low washer fluid even thou the tank is full. i tested the abs on a dirt road and the pump did kick in and its still only the abs light thats coming on speedo is working and no red brake light
jason

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
now i'm at even more of a loss i just drove t almost 700 miles and the light stayed off for maybe 100 of them.the fact that its only the abs light makes me think the problem is in the front end so as soon as i got home without turning the truck off i unplugged each sensor and plugged in the other hub i have sitting here niether side turned the light off. so then i started thinking its a broken wire on the truck side so i checked voltage at each plug and both showed 13.25 volts so that cant be it. anyone have anything else i should check? i don't believe its the abs module because even with the light on the abs activates when i try to lock them up on a dirt road. this would be so much easier if i could just scan it. im to the point that im ready to buy another edge just so i have it while i send this one in
thanks
jason

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
@jpryorx2 You seem more intune with a multimeter than I would be, but just throwing a possibility out there. I wonder if it is potentially just a bad/broken front ABS wire, but its broken JUST enough so that when it is sitting still or in the right position it's ok, but once it hits a bump or bends it then breaks connection somewhere inside? I know that seems like I'm really reaching there but I wouldn't put it past a ram to have that issue lol.

I will think about it or see what I might potentially come up with over the night, but if you ever are down towards Topeka Kansas and need still don't have a scanner, I am more than happy to help out.

ALSO, I don't know if you have any Harbor Freights where you live, but their little Zurich ZR Series scanners are actually pretty good in my opinion. Not 110% perfect, but they are good and will read and clear codes, just thought I would mention it.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i haven't been thru Kansas since covid started been mainly doing Michigan loads so im back in my own bed instead of cheap hotels. i have access to a good snap on scanner but my problem is the touch screen on my edge is screwed up so if i unplug it to scan it or dissconnet my batteries. i can't put it back in without sending it out to have the screen replaced.edge says it will take atleast 10 days untill i have it back and i wont haul without it. i'm always watching my egt,rail pressure,trans temp and boost so.its a time issue for me. i actually got pulled in for a dot check yesterday and luckly the cop either didn't see the light on or just didn't say anything about it. im pretty sure it's narrowed down to the front end at this point as the rear triggers the red brake light also and the brake fluid level is only the red light. so ive been wiggling wires and swapping sensors with no luck yet. its the randomness thats kicking my butt it doesnt matter if im sitting still or doing 70 or if I've even hit the brakes yet i'm not against running new wires to the sensors but would just like to have actually figured out the problem to know its gonna solve it first
thanks
jason

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
been doing alot of reading and since all sensors test good and have power coming from the abs module then the fact that im as getting the random low washer fluid warning im starting to wonder if the tipm is failing.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i think i got it fixed. i got to thinking that just because a sensor test good didn't mean the bearing was good so replaced the driver side bearing also now even thou i didn't feel any slop in it and the light hasn't been on since. i drove over 1000 miles this weekend and have had cruise the whole time.it only took me 2 new front bearings and a new rear abs sensor i also bought both speed sensors for the side of the trans but haven't installed them yet. not sure if i will
thanks
jason

1 - 20 of 20 Posts