Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drive a 2004 Dodge Diesel 2500, 35" tires, a pro-comp 2" lift. I recently changed the oil, transmission fluid, fuel filter. I bought this truck less than a year ago, and I havn't really done much to it other than put diesel into in, and replace the oil. I am how-ever about to take a long trip through some pretty hilly country (1200 km or so each way). I am a little nervous (the last time I made this trip, it killed my previous truck). I just want to make sure I am covering all potential problems with my Dodge Diesel. I am new to diesel, and to dodge. I added a container of lucas transmission slip fix to my tranny, it slips a bit, and apparently there is metal in the pan, I don't have time or resources to resolve this before I go, but it seems to shift decently well according to my mechanic, and I was told not to worry about it too much right now.

Is there anything else I should do to prepare for this trip, I have heard about Power Service additive, I am going to look into that. My fuel mileage isn't that great right now (16.9 mpg on the overhead). I generally only travel 15km per day, so this will be a good chance to clean up the engine of this poor abused truck. (abused by the previous owner).

·
Banned
5,586 Posts
In my opinion the weak point of your truck is the stock fuel pump that is mounted under the hood. It can fail at any time with no warning. Mine died at 54,000 miles. Some people keep a spare with them.

Air up your tires to get max mpg's on the highway.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, yeah I will. Otherwise, I picked up some Power Service, Diesel Clean today, gonna run that through as well.

·
Registered
886 Posts
the other things I do is carry an extra oil change and filter, extra fuel filter, and an extra spare tire.

and the tools to change both in case I get a bad run of fuel and I've lost a seal on an oil filter before (different truck). I was lucky enough to get two right side flats on the truck and two on the right side of the trailer at the same time once. Glad I had two spares for each and two floor jacks with me.

Then again I get [email protected] for carrying to much extra stuff until someone else breaks down on the trip!

have a safe trip!:headbang:

·
Registered
517 Posts
i just ran some power service thru mine and i swear i got 20mpg empty goin 65-70... then comin home pullin a trailer with tractor,loader, and brush hog i got 14.2... i think it helped
have fun

1 - 5 of 5 Posts