Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed the new turbo on the truck. Is it normal for it to build more EGT's before the Turbo spools up? If so I am afraid my EGT's will be to high when towing Heavy Loads (12k +).

Any comments would be appreciated. If you look at my profile I am using a #5 fuel plate and 90hp injectors, the fuel plate is not all the way forward so I believe I am pushing about 75-85hp from it, full forward is supposed to be 125hp.

Any thoughts would be great, I guess you can always just hook on to it and thow the hammer down and see what happens!!:lol3:

·
Smells like Bananas
7,244 Posts
I just installed the new turbo on the truck. Is it normal for it to build more EGT's before the Turbo spools up? If so I am afraid my EGT's will be to high when towing Heavy Loads (12k +).
Do you mean you are making Hotter Egt's with the new turbo than with the old turbo. Before it spools!!

You have a fairly quick spooling turbo now. But you still have to use fuel to spool it. Before it spools you will have heat. Once spooled it will cool off.

What are you seeing as EGT's before you spool, after you spool, and at cruising speed. Have you pulled much with the new turbo.

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
High pre boost EGTs are normal. You have all kinds of fuel dumping in and not much air to cool things off!

Best thing to do is throw the trailer on and see what happens

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took if for a small drive and at idle after 10 minutes the EGT's are running 500+, I never had this with the stock turbo, I can hit 1400 before the truck runs out of gear. With the stock turbo it was alot harder to hit 1200, under the same scenario.

I have no idea what is up!!

·
Smells like Bananas
7,244 Posts
what kind of boost are you making. Your waste gate is not opening at low boost is it.

·
Registered
7,734 Posts
Check to see if the compressor wheel is turning at all...sounds like it's locked up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts