Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may be getting a new truck soon, 08 2500 6.7L. I pull an enclosed trailer 8.5x20, about 7500-8000 lbs.

My question is, how long do I need to wait until I pull my trailer? It seems like when I got my 04 they told me not to pull a trailer for 500 miles.

Thanks.

·
Registered
361 Posts
If it were me i wouldnt pull anything or run the heck out of it for the first 500-1000 miles then after that drive it how you would if it had 50,000 on it

·
Registered
13,652 Posts
500 miles to break in the ring and pinion in the rear end. The engine itself is good to go as soon as you get it home.

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
Yeah 500 miles and you are good to go. Pulling a load actually helps to break in the motor after the initial 500

·
Registered
148 Posts
Actually, if you read the manual (I was bored one night) it says 500 miles and then the first 500 miles of towing, keep it to 50 mph or less.....yeah, sure........

·
Registered
316 Posts
Like we tell people at the tractor dealership when they get a new tractor. Put a plow behind it and work the guts out of it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, :thumbsup

I guess if I get my truck latter this week, me and the faimly will be taking a trip this weekend before I hook up to the trailer next week. I do want to break it in right.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I asked my mechanic how long to break my truck in.....he said...."are you off the lot?" Drive it like you stole it, break it in immediately and get it used to kicking its !!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I hooked up my 36' gooseneck (approx 8K empty) right in the dealerships parking lot. Only had 34 miles on the truck at delivery

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
Drive it like your like your going to its whole life. Hook it up in dealer lot if need be.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts