Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone certain of the socket sized for the AAM 9.25 and 11.5 pinion nuts? I can't seem to find solid info. I need to buy those sockets for both my seal jobs.

Searching I seem to find this, but im looking for confirmation.
AAM 9.25 = 1-1/4" (32mm should fit this as well, little big)
AAM 11.5 = 36mm (no real direct standard here, I guess a 1-7/16, but its .5mm big)

anyone know what works here?

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nada? :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
160 Posts
From what I remember you are correct 32 on front and 36 on rear. I think you have to have a 12 point socket instead of 6 point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Picked up a 1-7/16” at tractor supply, it was too loose for the rear nut, I didn’t want to leak on it. A 36 should be perfect but they didn’t have one. Gonna order on up from amazon. Might pickup a set of larger sockets, idk.

·
Registered
160 Posts
You can try autozone, advance auto, Napa. Some have loaner tools. There was a couple of us going to do some in the campground. I think they had to borrow a socket and the company bought the mechanic a socket. Been a few years back.

My front diff seep at high speeds and drip a little if in region where 75 to 80 mph is running speed. I just keep a check on mine. Mine has done this since 50K and is now around 250K. A machinist told me if you don’t figure the cause( bearings, out of tolerance and such it will leak again). Dodge put 2 or 3 in while in warrenty but when they wanted $750 to change a seal. There is a crushable sleeve like the 70’s Broncos and many other variables as lbs/in. Till mine is sobering and I will go through the whole axle I will just check the fluid.

The rear has dried up after removing the vent tube and taking out the factory valve and just putting a loop in the hose. Think the salt from being up north would plug it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My tubes were clear and flowing smoothly, first thing I checked. but that’s a solid tip for sure.

I got the 32mm and 36mm in. They fit good, Did the front yesterday. It was generating a drop in my driveway. That’s a big no no so it got fixed. So far so good. Did a 2 hour drive last night after the job and it was leaking. Going up to Dallas for the Winter Classic on the 1st, that’s 5 hours so that will be a good test.

For the rear, I’m leaning on your side, it’s not dripping just seeping, I might just let it be, I don’t want to mess with it and it has 30k old Royal Purple in it, should have much more life.

I guess I just need to bug a set of larger sockets so this kinda thing doesn’t hold me up down the road lol.

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
Is anyone certain of the socket sized for the AAM 9.25 and 11.5 pinion nuts? I can't seem to find solid info. I need to buy those sockets for both my seal jobs.

Searching I seem to find this, but im looking for confirmation.
AAM 9.25 = 1-1/4" (32mm should fit this as well, little big)
AAM 11.5 = 36mm (no real direct standard here, I guess a 1-7/16, but its .5mm big)

anyone know what works here?

Front axle 9 1/4 AAM / front pinion nut is a 32mm
Rear axle AAM 11.5 / rear pinion nut is a 36mm 12 point

1 - 7 of 7 Posts