Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a smokin hot deal on a 3RD GEN COMplete axle just wondering if anyone has done the swap into a second gen. little fab is no problem are they the same width

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I have had this same idea I have a totaled 05, and from what I see it would work. But I do think the 3rd gen frame is wider so that means your spring perches will need to be moved, and possibly your shock mounts. Other than that and the possibility of different gears it would be a pretty simple swap. Maybe a little time consuming.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well im goin for it I think I have to shorten drive shaft and get a different yoke looks like and the perches are going to have have to be moved oh yeah i need 3.73 up front too. At least i will get disc breaks out of the deal. Plus its a strong unit way better than the 70 I will post pics when i start. Truck is in storage right now so when the blizzard stops i will bring her home and get started

·
Registered
663 Posts
Do you have access to the AAM axle? If so, I can go out an make some measurements on my D70. At least that way you can get a rough idea.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah i think i got it all figured out the housing is so much bigger than the 70 the drive shaft has to be cut but other than that and the perches and messin with the brake set up it shouldnt be too bad and luckly they make a 3.73 for the front throw that in and should be good.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Ive got a set of 09 axles for my truck sitting in the shop.. I dont think youll be able to pick up a signal from the speed sensor in the AAM. Other than that its just perches and driveshaft. Keep us posted, and heres a potential lead.

Heres a build thread on a second gen with AAMs
Well, here goes: - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board

Heres a PM exchanged between me and this dude thats done it
Re: Your 99 dodge with AAM's
Quote:
Originally Posted by el ranger loco
I was randomly searching around, I dont remember what I was looking for.. Either way, I found your post in a thread about AAM axle junk where you said you swapped in a set of power wagon axles under your 2nd gen truck. I have a set of 09 AAMs sitting in my garage that I was wanting to use in my toyota buggy, but have also been thinking about swapping them with the 60/70 in the 2000 CTD tow rig and using the danas in the buggy.. Pros are tried and true axles in buggy with tons of available parts and updated nearly new axles in my tow rig with a rear end that can hold up to the power and has discs. Do you have any advice on this? What was needed to swap the newer axles under your dodge? Sorry for the questions, Ive just been looking for somebody who has done this for quite some time. Anything is greatly appreciated, even a link to a build thread. THANKS!

Kyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murfman1967 View Post
Regarding the CAD comments, no Dodge built after 2002 has had CAD, so that is a non issue. I swapped a Power Wagon 9.25 front and Power Wagon 10.50 rear under my 99 Ram 2500. It would be worth your effort to look for Power Wagon axles, the rear axle actually uses the larger 11.50 axle shafts, and the fact that they come with the 4.56 gears and selectable lockers is a win win situation. I found both of mine on line, for decent prices, you just have to be patient. The AAM axles are much beefier than the Dana stuff. The 2008 and up steering is the T style instead of the y, and is very beefy as well. IMHO I like the fact that the front unit bearings have no hub sticking out, and as I live in the midwest, it is nice just pulling the lever and getting 4wd in the snow. Lockout hubs really dont gain all that much MPG, and are just another part to break or hang up IMHO. Furthermore if you are only going to run 35" - 37" tires the unit bearings will be fine. As stated above, Ballistic makes a nice hub conversion if you are so inclined. Carli makes some nice HD balljoints, as they seem to be the achilles Heel of the AAM axles.
Up front I made my own control arms using Ballistic fab joints, and some .250 wall DOM, I added a 3rd gen track bar adapter and used the stock power wagon track bar. I also used the Power Wagon steering at it is the "T" type. I didn't try to use the stock control arms, but I think they would actually work. In the back I just ad to move the spring perches to get it to fit. I ditched the ABS as mine was only RWAL anyway. I ended up having to use a SGI-5 speedometer converter box from dakota digital and pick up the signal from the transmission tailshaft sensor, as I could not get the speedo or the converter box to work off the AAM sensor on the rear axle. THe only down side to doing this is my speedometer is incorrect in low range. To me this was not a big problem. I'd say go for it. I think the AAM axles are better than the Danas myself

·
Registered
220 Posts
It's am easy swap. The front will bolt in, I'd go ahead and convert over to the newer style trackbar while I was doing it. The second gen upper control arms are a a tad bit shorter than the third gen. I'm wantin to say 1/2 in or 1/4 in. You'll have to make some changes to the front drive shaft. I think you can actually get some u joints that will be able to use the flange for the 9.25 and your stock shaft. Not too sure. The rear you have to move the perches and may have to shorten the drive shaft and get the flange to bolt up. Shock mounts should all be able to be left in the same spot. The sensor probably will not work. I know quite a few people who have done this. Into diesels and half ton gassers. The only downfall seems to be prices for parts. But they will drop with time. They already have in the past few years.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What if i just use the dana spped sensor and make it adjustable in and out per the tone ring

·
Registered
220 Posts
Idk, that might work. But I think it would depend on the number of teeth on the tone ring.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah i could be wrong but I dont think it will matter if it is out of calibration i will just play with tire size on my smarty and look at my gps to getter tuned in just right just thought of something else rims my 16 helos arent gonna fit are they

1 - 11 of 11 Posts