Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a bad squeal at low speeds, and a kinda grinding noise over harsh pot holes. The brake pads and rotors are brand new on the rear end (different story). I checked the pinion bearing, there is no play. I pulled the diff plug out and shes covered in metal shavings... All pointing to a bad bearing somewhere in the rear axle. I am not going to play with the inners yet (I will let the shop work on that if the outters aren't the issue) but I am going to change the outside wheel bearings, if you will.

What I cant find is a part number for them and the seals. I want to do this Wednesday night so it would be nice to find them at Napa or Advance Auto. Does anyone know the part numbers for these items? Any help would be more than appreciated!

EDIT: Since I posted, I found this on NAPA. Does this look like the bearing I need for the outter end? http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Detail.aspx?A=PGBPBR38_0071032169&An=599001+102004+50022+2022078

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump ttt

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Tutorial

Ok so it wasn't the bearings (although I feel better now that I have fresh ones in there). Also no additional accumulations of metal shavings formed. I got a second opinion and the other person thinks it really sounds like a brake sticking ever so slightly. I am going to get a new caliper for the passenger side next and see if that solves the problem (I already replaced the driver side due to sticking a few weeks ago). If thats not it I am going to have to take it in to have the pinion and inner bearings looked at. I cant think of anything else that it could be back there.

In the mean time here is a step by step install for the outter axle bearings for a AAM 11.5 axle:

Napa part number for the bearings was BRG BR38

1. Remove wheel (you actually can do this by just removing the center cap but there will be some diff fluid leak on your wheel)
2. Remove the 8 9/16" bolts holding the axle in place.
3. Slide axle from the axle housing and set aside.
4. Remove the small red retaining clip from the hub splines.
5. Remove the small block (keyway) from the nut.
6. Back the nut off (should only be finger tight, may have to tap one of the recesses with a screwdriver to break it free initially)
7. Remove the bearing.
8. I did not replace the outter race as it seemed to be pressed into the housing and did not show signs of wear. Depending on the severity of the damage to your bearing, it would be a good idea to work that out as well.
9. Re assemble.

The whole process took me about 2 hours from start to finish for both sides. If I was back home and had my impact wrench I could have done it in just over an hour. The only tools required were a ratchet with a 13/16" socket for the lugs, a 9/16" socket for the axle nuts and some needle nose pliers. Obviously a jack and jack stands to support the vehicle while it is off the ground. If I would have been thinking I would have taken pics... but I was too anxious to see what my problem was. I hope this helps someone out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts