Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this thing in my old sleepers truck. When i bought the truck the guy told me over drive was screwed up. Well i finally got it to kick in to od last night. But once it kickes in i got to do about 60 or so to wherer the motor is tached play with the throttle a little and it will shift. Does anyone no what could be wrong

· Registered
9 Posts
Sounds like TPS problems.
Your other option is removing the TPS from the top of the IP, but leaving it plugged in. Zip tie it off to the side some were were the wiring and TPS will be safe. This will trick the computer into thinking that the truck is coasting, and will engage the OD at a minimum preset speed of 35 mph, and disengage it at 32 mph. If you are towing or need to pass some one, you will have to disengage the OD manually via the OD cut out switch. I did this on my truck four years ago, do to TPS problems, and have not had any problems since. Infact, milage went up and RPMs stay down.:thumbsup: My truck climbs most big hills in OD, unless I have to slow down because of traffic. This set up lets the truck take advantage of the torque instead of reving the piss out of the engine. Note: I do let up on the pedal slightly at 35 mph to cution the shift into OD, but I've always done that, even before that mod.
Hope this helps.

· Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your other option is removing the TPS from the top of the IP, but leaving it plugged in. Zip tie it off to the side some were were the wiring and TPS will be safe. This will trick the computer into thinking that the truck is coasting, and will engage the OD at a minimum preset speed of 35 mph, and disengage it at 32 mph. If you are towing or need to pass some one, you will have to disengage the OD manually via the OD cut out switch. I did this on my truck four years ago, do to TPS problems, and have not had any problems since. Infact, milage went up and RPMs stay down.:thumbsup: My truck climbs most big hills in OD, unless I have to slow down because of traffic. This set up lets the truck take advantage of the torque instead of reving the piss out of the engine. Note: I do let up on the pedal slightly at 35 mph to cution the shift into OD, but I've always done that, even before that mod.
Hope this helps.
]\

If the TPS is already burnt up will this mod work. Im thinking that its already burnt up because i tried it and it no worky. But what it did do was quicken the shifts. Use to @ WOT it would lag shifting. Now it bangs them. Looks like im going to have to by a new TPS and do this mod to it. Thanks man:headbang:

· Registered
9 Posts
]\

If the TPS is already burnt up will this mod work. Im thinking that its already burnt up because i tried it and it no worky. But what it did do was quicken the shifts. Use to @ WOT it would lag shifting. Now it bangs them. Looks like im going to have to by a new TPS and do this mod to it. Thanks man:headbang:
You mentioned that you got the OD to kick in, if that is the case it should still work. But if it is totally fried, it probably won't. Try spraying some contact cleaner, and rotating the TPS back and forth, than leave it hooked up but off the IP, and take it for a test drive. See what hapens. You have to take the TPS of any way if you are thinking about replacing it, so give it a try.
Yes you quickened the shifts, which tends to rev it out more and waste more fuel, instead of making it work on the lower end were they produce tons of torque.:thumbsup: If you like it to shift quicker leave it, if you want economy, put it back were it was. On mine, if you have to get up and go, or to pass someone, I shift it manually anyway. Just my .02
BTW, is you speedometer working???
If not, your OD won't engage, it needs the signal from the speedo.

· Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You mentioned that you got the OD to kick in, if that is the case it should still work. But if it is totally fried, it probably won't. Try spraying some contact cleaner, and rotating the TPS back and forth, than leave it hooked up but off the IP, and take it for a test drive. See what hapens. You have to take the TPS of any way if you are thinking about replacing it, so give it a try.
Yes you quickened the shifts, which tends to rev it out more and waste more fuel, instead of making it work on the lower end were they produce tons of torque.:thumbsup: If you like it to shift quicker leave it, if you want economy, put it back were it was. On mine, if you have to get up and go, or to pass someone, I shift it manually anyway. Just my .02
BTW, is you speedometer working???
If not, your OD won't engage, it needs the signal from the speedo.

Speedo is working great. And so is OD now i took some cleaner and clean the hell out of it. Fuel milage went down the drain when i took the afc lever out. Hopefully this time next week my 6x22 sticks will be in then i will be turbo shopping. I really wanna thank you for your help i am glad i can do more the 55 mph now. Its awesome :yourock:

Thanks again bud

· Registered
9 Posts
Speedo is working great. And so is OD now i took some cleaner and clean the hell out of it. Fuel milage went down the drain when i took the afc lever out. Hopefully this time next week my 6x22 sticks will be in then i will be turbo shopping. I really wanna thank you for your help i am glad i can do more the 55 mph now. Its awesome :yourock:

Thanks again bud
I would tend to think that your milage went down the drain because of no OD, and less because of the AFC lever.
Did you leave the TPS on the IP or off?
I'm glad that your trk is back in business:thumbsup:!

· Registered
104 Posts
Not to derail the origenal prob but I have a ? that you might be able to answer. I'm doing a 91&1/2 5.9/518 o/d swap into a 95 chev that had a TD. Can I splice into the speedo wireing to make the chev read the 518? will i need to do this anyway to make the tranny shift?

· Registered
9 Posts
Not to derail the origenal prob but I have a ? that you might be able to answer. I'm doing a 91&1/2 5.9/518 o/d swap into a 95 chev that had a TD. Can I splice into the speedo wireing to make the chev read the 518? will i need to do this anyway to make the tranny shift?
That means you would have to swap the dodge PCM, and that sounds like a pain, pluse you don't know if the Chevy VSS will give a different signal. The way the 518 works, is you only need to energize the OD salenoid, the rest of the tranny works by the TV cable, or what use to be known as the kick down cable. So if you go the route of putting the OD on your own toggle switch, you should be fine. A chevy with a CTD, sweet.....

· Registered
9 Posts
I re read you question again, and realized the you would still have speedo issues, if the signal is different. If that is the case maybe some company out there has some kind of an adapter to process the different signal. Thats my best guess, maybe someone on this forum knows more or has gone through this type of swap, and can chime in.

· Registered
104 Posts
I re read you question again, and realized the you would still have speedo issues, if the signal is different. If that is the case maybe some company out there has some kind of an adapter to process the different signal. Thats my best guess, maybe someone on this forum knows more or has gone through this type of swap, and can chime in.
What about an aftermarket speedo gauge, I'd hate to chop the dash but w/out a speedo or tach it'd be hard to drive leagal. Any tips?????

· Registered
9 Posts
What about an aftermarket speedo gauge, I'd hate to chop the dash but w/out a speedo or tach it'd be hard to drive leagal. Any tips?????
I don't know it would seem like that should work. Do a google search for speedo adaptation, see what you come up with. I'm sure there are forums out there that are for CTD swaps, and they should cover issues like that.

· Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would tend to think that your milage went down the drain because of no OD, and less because of the AFC lever.
Did you leave the TPS on the IP or off?
I'm glad that your trk is back in business:thumbsup:!
I went 100 miles and sucked 3/4 of a tank because of no od i cant keep doing that. TPS on off the IP and i got it zip tied out of the way. Now its time to purchase my injectiors this truck still dont seem like its got . But i no its because i am use to a dmax. Thank you for all your help TDiesel

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.