Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
61 - 80 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
They are just up the road from me now.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
I'm in ID too, but they're still far away from me... I went to south east Idaho.

Reactions: 2002CTD

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Summit Racing best price $355 + tax......$390 drop shipped from DDP. Got injectors and cross tubes shipped in same box! Paid full price for injectors from DDP. Ouch! 8 hole perfection. Engine fixed right with complimenting injectors and tubes!!! Yep still excited even through the
Engine failure. Truck never lopped @ idle with stated setup. Anxious to see if I get any lope from DDP products???

Guess they got tired of Washington too! LOL
DDP used to be in Monroe, WA. I ran my truck on their dyno long ago.
Yep I ran on their Dyno as well. I was their when Chris(5150) laid down 1218 hp on Dyno Day! It was exhilarating!

Along with the ARP 625 studs. Went ahead and got drive pressure gauge and pod. Autometer z series black face. 0-100psi. No more wondering if drive pressure killed headgasket. Money well spent for some peace of mind.

Pretty sure it wasn't drive pressure as I blew my headgasket years ago and you could feel the backpressure resistance in the motor. This setup no back pressure that I could feel or sense. I think it was just a crappy rebuild???

If this is any indication of the engine builders ethics then I will never recommend him to anyone. My local shop pulled the push rods out to instal the Hamilton rods and low and behold one of the cummins rods was bent pretty bad. I called builder and left message.....no response. That was the beginning of the demise of the engine. I learned my lesson on that one. Just because someone claims to have been building engines for 40 years don't mean squat!

·
Registered
1 Posts
A little bit of everything! I own a 38 foot trailer with 4 tip outs. Quite heavy. Water meth will cool eggs if I ever tow my trailer. Don’t tow it as it is setup on our property with caretaker staying in it. As said in another post....squeeze as much horsepower as possible out of my RPM limited Cummins. Going to my first race June 21 out on Olympic Peninsula. I have a buddy that I got into diesel performance. He drives 04 6.0 liter 600+ hp. He wants a fun grudge race. I may lose I may win, in reality I couldn’t care less who wins.

Frankly I simply love driving a diesel truck. Listening to turbo and other parts compliment each other is music to my ears.

Water methanol will greatly reduce smoke and give a nice boost in Horsepower! My old stage 2 reduced temp. by 250 degrees. I did a run without Edge years ago. Did 350 hp. 150 injectors. Turned on water meth and added 86 horsepower. That was with -20 www. 436 no Edge!!!

Turned on Edge did 480. Now that I think back those numbers were with Bullydog 120hp injectors. Hx 40.

Ultimate goal will be to run 80mm SX-E over 71mm and surpass 800hp on fuel.....then turn on Water meth and see what it will do. As stated before I am going to run the big single for awhile. Probably have Stainless Diesel build a piping kit for twins. Several things I want to do. Once my Land Survey business is established I will fork out the dough for twins!

I had to call Snow and get directions on how to wire VC 50 to MAP sensor in intake. As soon as I hook up I will be able to purge system and slowly ramp up power........it’s gonna be nuts!!! Running 70%-30%. Diesel ignites first which then fires methanol. Methanol will not ignite under compression like diesel. It takes a flame to fire methanol. That why it is considered safe power. Practically eliminates any chance for detonation. Water absorbes heat as it converts to steam. Also steam cleans cylinders and valves. Great stuff!

It's actually 72mm inducer 100mm exducer 85/74 turbine .85 ar t3 .

It's actually 72mm inducer 100mm exducer 85/74 turbine .85 ar t3 .

Goals with Methanol setup is to do over 800 hp without nitrous. Lofty goals...yes! It can be done and I am gonna be one of the ones who do it!

Second I am taking over all my Father's Land Survey jobs over on the coast. Westport and Ocean Shores predominantly. It's about 2:20 commute. I plan on setting Methanol onset it will start at about 8 pounds boost. This is usually where it's at just crusing up mild grades and what not. The new Snow VC 50 controller is a progressive system. Spray increases as boost increases. In theory it should increase mileage but the cost of wwf and heet will probably negate and mileage gain. That leaves you with a heap of horsepower hanging in the balance. I like efficient high horsepower vehicles. Not interested in competition. My theory on competition is that as soon as your the top dog you no longer need to go for more. I am one who is always wanting more, not to brag or say I have more horsepower than so and so. I have always pushed the limits in everything I do. That's my mentality and goals for truck.

Well got instructions from snow on how to hook VC 50 progressive controller to map sensor. 3 wires run from controller to map sensor. That has been done. Also fuel pressure gauge is hooked up. Gotta make sure we are maintaining fuel pressure. Then catch can with braided stainless hose hooked up to tappet cover with 90 degree blow of vents. And finally Firepunk Anteater is being installed. Will adjust shift points but more important set it up to lock torque converter in 2nd gear. It was a hot mess before....now I would say a nuclear mess. Waiting on Dan at Diesel Services to finish details. Then maybe I will hit dyno......or simply change the rotation of the earth when I step on it. Stay tuned more reports coming!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Well to make engine stronger and operate safer and better I purchased Gorilla Girdle and XL Arp main studs to connect girdle to end caps. Dan at Diesel Services Nothwest has got my truck next in line for repairs. He said head was warped .006. He decked it. Next pull block and see what we find as to why cylinders were scored!

Will give updates. Don't want anybody else to have to go through this mess.

We are going .040 over and using .040 Mahle pistons delipped and ceramic coated again.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Why did you stay with the VP head?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Why did you stay with the VP head?
What head are you saying I should use???

Well Dan at Diesel Services is putting engine back together. He said whoever ceramic coated the pistons spayed it into the ring grooves. That layer of ceramic coat was enough to push the rings out to score cylinder walls. Dan only coats top and skirt. So adding Arp 625 studs, gorilla girdle with ARP XL main studs, exhaust/drive pressure gauge and mechanical autometer z series fuel pressure gauge. Dan also recommended Fleece coolant bypass so we are doing that too. Also have braided stainless heater core hoses to add along with braided stainless trans cooler lines. Also braided stainless hoses for tappet cover crank case vent to catch can.

It's getting close to being back on the road. Will give update on how DDP Injectors and cross tubes affect setup and performance.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I went with the CR head. Quit a bit more flow.
Very impressed with your setup. I had twins, but now going back to single.
Keep doing what your doing until your happy.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
I went with the CR head. Quit a bit more flow.
Very impressed with your setup. I had twins, but now going back to single.
Keep doing what your doing until your happy.
Thanks man! It's been a long journey. Getting it to run absolutely perfect then fail from bad rebuild. Huge letdown. I have to admit I didn't have a clue what kind of power it was going to have??? The first time I drove it and put the pedal down was surreal! Thinking outside the box got me here. It is insanely powerful and I have not turned on water meth yet. Ball Park 750-850 hp is my conservative guess with everything on. I reiterate what I have said before, lag??? What lag....there is none. It just flat out performs. It has so much power that when someone goes to pass me and I put the pedal down I don't go anywhere cause the tires are smoking. That's not exaggerated or sensationalized. The turbo with Scheid vp throttle response is instant. Stay tuned, will give full report after supermental Dynomite injectors are in and WM is hooked up.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
From a reputable source the most horsepower they have seen made with Scheid Lightning vp44 was 850. With water meth they claim 900 is possible with my setup.. Going back a few years Bentz diesel dragster(first diesel power vehicle in the 7's) ran Ats Aurora 5000 turbos as a single and twins to make 950 hp.......won't be long now and it'll be time to tune it up and strap it down and let her rip. If I hit 900 I'll be done.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
If I was going for a max hp vp44 setup I'd look into more stroke and compression. There's a reason almost all the high hp vp were stroker motors. Even just adding a 6.7 crank and milling the top of the pistons would gain you alot

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
If I was going for a max hp vp44 setup I'd look into more stroke and compression. There's a reason almost all the high hp vp were stroker motors. Even just adding a 6.7 crank and milling the top of the pistons would gain you alot
I totally agree. With the powerband of VP's you want all the help you can get spooling big air before you're out of rpm's.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Very nice!

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
It's great to see enthusiasm in these old trucks and people spending ridiculous money trying to wring every bit of power out of the vp44.
Builds like this are very helpful figuring out what and what not to do when funds are more limited .
I'm curious to see how it holds up after al this.
I hope it kicks butt.

·
Diesel Fanatic
300 Posts
Exciting build man!! Look forward to seeing your results!! :cool: 🤘

61 - 80 of 106 Posts