Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
41 - 60 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
13,338 Posts
Not about winning or loosing....it's about sharing and wanting to share our success and failures with each other. Granted some have a knack for knowing what will work(I am not saying I am one of those). I will share my method! I look at each and every post on Dyno Forum and look for all setups with upwards of 700 hp. Those are the ones I focus on. Frankly I am embarrassed for some truck running twins and the low power they make! Granted they may not want 700+ horsepower. They may want a towing setup! That's great. I on the other hand want absolutely highest horsepower possible.. My setup is not for everyone. Share, share share is my moto. I would love to see vp trucks all sporting 700+ hp. If you haven't been in one find somebody that has one and get a ride.....it will be an eyeopener for you!!! I will say 503 horsepower was nice but this new setup is night and day difference and still streetable with some self control. If you don't have self control turn off Edge hot box and you will run totally clean at around 500 hp. Hope that helps somebody!!!.
Sorry I was responding to jigabop about winning them all.

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
Ultimate goal will be to run 80mm SX-E over 71mm and surpass 800hp on fuel.....then turn on Water meth and see what it will do. As stated before I am going to run the big single for awhile. Probably have Stainless Diesel build a piping kit for twins. Several things I want to do. Once my Land Survey business is established I will fork out the dough for twins!
There is no reason to run a secondary that large for a VP truck. Stick to a 63-64.5mm compressor inducer.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Didn't wash gauges.....but I did install them myself.....what I am trying to say is that when you want something bad enough you will do it. That was the case here. Turned out pretty good considering it was my first set. Trans temp is 160-170, Pyro 400-800 around town 900-1150 up steep grades at 60mph, max seen 1500. Boost Max pressure 60 psi.
You should supercharge it while you’re at it!

Also, have you thought about running 100% meth, seems to work well for some. Others not so much but I guess it’s more user dependent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Well a new addition to setup! Dynomite Diesel Super Mental injectors. Will be going in early this week. So I will have some DAP 7X.014 injectors for sale soon!
There is no reason to run a secondary that large for a VP truck. Stick to a 63-64.5mm compressor inducer.
I respectfully disagree with your line of reasoning. Every vp44 truck making more than 750-800 hp or more are running large turbos. That does not mean they will be ideally streetable but if your goal is to make horsepower you need alot of air. With limited fuel of vptrucks you have to get as much air as possible into cylinder to burn limited amount of fuel to make maximum horsepower. With my 72 mm turbo I am perfectly streetable and have as said ridiculous power.......well now with new injectors I will be in the vp44 800 club!
You should supercharge it while you’re at it!

Also, have you thought about running 100% meth, seems to work well for some. Others not so much but I guess it’s more user dependent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I will be running 70%meth/30%water. Hoping to make 850 with everything working!!! We shall see!!! Should be within turbos capability.

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
There may be a lot of people running that sized secondaries but it doesn't mean they're not giving up more drivability than they're gaining in power. 72mm secondary is air for much more than 1000hp. You don't run a similar sized secondary to what you would as a single.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
According to Ats a5k turbo is rated at 850 on fuel. Some other vendors claim 1000+ on spray. I have seen plenty of trucks with 80mm atmosphere or larger running well north of 850 on vp trucks. Gilbert from Stainless Diesel ran triple turbos to make 1040 hp on fuel. Did you notice when he ran the track what was missing????? Smoke....that was because he was jamming his cylinders with massive amounts of air burning all the fuel. You don't do that with small turbos! Just my 2 cents!!!

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
I'm referring to the secondary, not the atmosphere turbo. You said you planned on running a 71 or 72 over an 80. Stick to a 63-64.5 over the 80.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
How much smoke is Firepunk spewing out on their Hotshot dakota????? Zip! Air, water nitrous they are burning all the available fuel. I could do as you recommend and rum my 72mm as the big turbo but I guarantee it would smoke like a coal train!
I'm referring to the secondary, not the atmosphere turbo. You said you planned on running a 71 or 72 over an 80. Stick to a 63-64.5 over the 80.
My mistake. Sorry for confusion. I saw one setup 88mm over 72mm made 891hp vp44 truck. That's what I'm after!

Or vice versa!

·
Registered
2,644 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
That's a very satisfying part to look at.
Hey guys thanks for the info. Fortunately ATS has a really good warranty so if I push it too far hopefully they will warranty it.

The only thing I don't like about ats 5000 is it surges pretty good at part throttle. 2/3rd to full throttle better make sure your wearing a helmet and have roll cage cause it's nuts!!!

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
You should put it on the dyno. I bet you’re over 900hp!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
You should put it on the dyno. I bet you’re over 900hp!
We're getting there. It was crazy with 350 injectors. My newly rebuilt engine apparently was rebuilt poorly as head gasket So working on addressing that issue and adding the Dynomite injectors plus a ton of water meth I would agree with you......850+???? Only one way to find out, strap her down and let her rip!!! Looking forward to seeing how DDP Injectors perform. Hopefully good as I am missing my left arm to get them. LOL!

Highest boost I saw was 58 lbs. Pyro was over 1350 1 time. A little messing around so we are baffled as to why headgasket puked so bad. Front back middle everywhere. Aftermarket garbage!!! Got some money back from machine shop at least.

Dan at Diesel Services Northwest said heat tab on head was intact. So we never overheated it. Coolant gauge never was above 180 degrees. ???? That stage 4 Colt cam is designed to allow for a longer exhaust duration so shouldn't be any spike in cylinder temp or pressure???

·
Registered
295 Posts
Hot rodded engines in general, running at hyper HP, tend to find the weakest link in the build. They are uber fun while running though.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Hot rodded engines in general, running at hyper HP, tend to find the weakest link in the build. They are uber fun while running though.
Yes it ran better than it ever had before. Extreme smooth power. Was quite delightful. We found out that the orings in the block were all to short. .006-.008. According to manufacturer they need to be at .011. So that is probably the culprit. Which also means block has to come out to fix! Crap!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
On a more positive note: DDP Injectors and performance cross tubes shipped today. They are in Idaho we are in Washington. Should have them in a day or two!!! That's like a kid in a candy store!!!

Go to "Diesel Services Northwest" Facebook page. He posts picture of build damage etc on his repairs builds etc.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
On a more positive note: DDP Injectors and performance cross tubes shipped today. They are in Idaho we are in Washington. Should have them in a day or two!!! That's like a kid in a candy store!!!
Guess they got tired of Washington too! LOL
DDP used to be in Monroe, WA. I ran my truck on their dyno long ago.

41 - 60 of 106 Posts