Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2000 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4, auto tranny full billet race! 220 psi line pressure! Ats billet flex plate. TCS billet torque converter, multi friction surfaces.

Aurora 5000 turbo.
5 inch exhaust
S&B CAI
Stainless Diesel t3 exhaust manifold
Edge Drag Comp hot 5x5
Scheid lightning VP 44
350 hp injectors w/large feed passages.
Keating billet valve cover
Billet tappet cover with dual breathers & catch can.
Banks high ram with dual 625 mil hypersonic nozzles for Snow stage 2 water meth. 75% meth 25% water.
Fass 150
Full compliment gauges
Snow VC 50 in cab variable methanol controller.
Banks grid delete
Arp headstuds

Engine
Decked block
O rings in block
New head
Hamilton 103lb valve springs
Hamilton extreme duty rods
Stage 4 Colt cam & Colt tappets
Delipped, flycut and ceramic coated pistons
Stock bottom end.
Keating billet freeze plugs.
Dap billet gearcase cover
Mishimoto intercooler
Power driven diesel boost boots and clamps
Hps radiator hoses w stainless clamps.
Dual Redtop Optima batteries.
Power Driven Diesel power torque ATF
Power Driven Diesel motor oil.
Yukon gears rear Dana 70 axle.

Power??? ALOT!!!!
ANYTHING BELOW 55 MPH IT ONLY TAKES HALF PEDDLE TO LIGHT UP THE TIRES. ITS POWERFULL AT LOW BOOST BUT UP AROUND 2000 + RPM 50 MPH IT IS COMPLETELY INSANE. IT IS AN UNCONTROLLABLE MONSTER. THE ARRORA TURBO IS 10 TIMES BETTER THAN WHAT I COULD HAVE EVER IMAGINED. DAILY DRIVING IS A PLEASURE, PLENTY OF POWER AND SMOKE CONTROLLABLE. I OFFER THIS UP FOR ALL THOSE LOOKING FOR A STREETABLE TURBO WITH CRAZY POWER POTENTIAL. SOUNDS GOOD, SPOOLS GOOD AND THIS TRUCK SCREAMS WHEN GETTING ON IT.
I BELIEVE I AM SOMEWHERE AROUND 700+ HORSEPOWER AND THAT ON NO2 ONLY WITH HOT SHOT SECRET FUEL ADDITIVE. ALSO HAVE Mishimoto antifreeze Liquid chill. It drops water temp by 20 degrees. I see 165 all day with it.

boost is 50-60 psi depending. Saw 1500 on Pyro 1 time on a long full power run. Otherwise steepest grades I see 1150 on Pyro holding at 55-60 mph.

I think that's everything.. I will gladly take questions!!! Please respond!

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
What are the spec on a ATS5000 anyways? I take it is a sxe400 frame.

You should get that thing in a dyno.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Looks very nice!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited by Moderator)
I'll hit dyno as soon as I get stage 2 water methanol injection, hooked up. The ratio 75 to 25 adds 100+ horsepower. I'm
Looks very nice!
Serious truck, dude.
Thanks.....

I have seen no significant loss in MPG. Even with a bit of messing around. Engine, transmission and upgrades are all working in concert........running very well together.

Motor vehicle Hood Car Automotive design Vehicle

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
I'm curious to know how the Aurora 5000 turbo behaves when you're just regularly driving around?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It drives in my opinion as good as my old HX 40. It flows so much air that smoke control is easy. Then again if you want to It will blow a cloud like you have never seen. Normal throttle it shifts and excellerates as good as my smaller turbo. Very mild pressure on peddle it goes right now. I am completely thrilled at how streetable it is. This may be due to cam that has longer exhaust duration. Top end is scary, as soon as it spools it roars to life and lays all kinds of rubber.LOL. I don't believe any of the negative talk about ATS products. This is a very versatile powerful turbo. Your gonna need some big injectors.

Hope that helps!!! Having a race tranny really helps put power to ground. It's effortless to spin tires. When you need power it comes unglued. It absolutely moves out. Not sure on your injectors but I run DAP 350hp. It cleans em up pretty good. I can legitimately say this is a good turbo for daily driving.

Hope that helps, if you need more info just ask!!!

Even with no boosted launch it is impossible to keep from spinning tires

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Ats gets a bad rap for there transmissions not so much turbos. Maybe they have got better, however the damage sticks.

This video sums it up. It's long and in depth.. short story they use parts that don't belong.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
It drives in my opinion as good as my old HX 40. It flows so much air that smoke control is easy. Then again if you want to It will blow a cloud like you have never seen. Normal throttle it shifts and excellerates as good as my smaller turbo. Very mild pressure on peddle it goes right now. I am completely thrilled at how streetable it is. This may be due to cam that has longer exhaust duration. Top end is scary, as soon as it spools it roars to life and lays all kinds of rubber.LOL. I don't believe any of the negative talk about ATS products. This is a very versatile powerful turbo. Your gonna need some big injectors.

Hope that helps!!! Having a race tranny really helps put power to ground. It's effortless to spin tires. When you need power it comes unglued. It absolutely moves out. Not sure on your injectors but I run DAP 350hp. It cleans em up pretty good. I can legitimately say this is a good turbo for daily driving.

Hope that helps, if you need more info just ask!!!
Thanks for the response. Sounds like it has great characteristics. I'm only running ~250HP injectors, which works well with what I have, but would probably not be enough to make the Aurora 5000 as streetable as it is for you. If I ever get back around to engine mods, I'll likely go with a twin setup. Awesome job on you truck!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ats gets a bad rap for there transmissions not so much turbos. Maybe they have got better, however the damage sticks.

This video sums it up. It's long and in depth.. short story they use parts that don't belong.
I wouldn't buy one of their transmissions!

I bought 5000 turbo from Scheid. It drop shipped from ATS. Paid $1978. I don't know how they are at honoring their warranty......they do have a good warranty?

Thanks for the response. Sounds like it has great characteristics. I'm only running ~250HP injectors, which works well with what I have, but would probably not be enough to make the Aurora 5000 as streetable as it is for you. If I ever get back around to engine mods, I'll likely go with a twin setup. Awesome job on you truck!
Thank you! I told my buddy I think I picked all the right parts......after he got a ride he agreed thoroughly. LOL!

For all my Canadian friends you will be happy to know my transmission is a product of a guy up there, Steve Troyan, "Troyan Performance Specialties". I don't think he is in business anymore. He recommended TCS torque converter and I said ok. Even more than 12 years ago it cost $1500. TCS Canada not TCS Pheonix, Arizona. He took my already built trans and made it even better. Hope he is doing well. Would be good to know where he's working???

If I go twins I will run 80mm SXE or 88mm SXE over my 72mm. Although I just got truck running after sitting for a number of years due to several bad things happening. Got sold 01 engine, truck is 2000. 2001 has no tone ring on crank. After installing engine no one could figure out why it wouldn't run right. A year later someone checked engine I'd plate. So had to pull engine do full rebuild. Put in 2000 crank with tone ring and all 2000 sensors with 2000 wire harness. Long story short.....it finally runs as it should. That was a huge headache and very discouraging.

I think I will enjoy single turbo for awhile considering how good it's running. But twins would be awesome!

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Oh man, that sounds like a nightmare. Glad you have it purring now. You definitely earned the right to enjoy it for a long while!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh man, that sounds like a nightmare. Glad you have it purring now. You definitely earned the right to enjoy it for a long while!
I will say that without forums like this and moparman 1973 I would have never figured out how to fix problem.

So thank you to all who posted ways to fix engine!

Basically treated engine like long block and used all 2000 sensors and electronics/crank.

A big thank you to Kevin at Langston enterprise in Canada for selling me wire harness and crank.

I will say that without forums like this and moparman 1973 I would have never figured out how to fix problem.

Basically treated engine like long block and used all 2000 sensors and electronics/crank.

A big thank you to Kevin at Langston enterprise in Canada for selling me wire harness and crank.
Also 2000 cam gear as 2001 cam gear is different.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Mopar1973Man (Michael) is definitely a great resource. He's only about 40 miles north of me, so I always feel a little local pride when the name comes up.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mopar1973Man (Michael) is definitely a great resource. He's only about 40 miles north of me, so I always feel a little local pride when the name comes up.
That's cool! His post is what opened door on how to fix!

Also he sold me 2000 cam gear.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Agreed. The two forums have been amazing resources, and have allowed me to answer virtually all my own questions / solve my own problems. That's why I try to give back and help where I can. Enjoy your awesome truck!

1 - 20 of 106 Posts