Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to turn down the amount of smoke I'm getting out of my 97 12 valve. Bought it from an old lady who loved rolling coal. Lol.

Nothing aftermarket except for a 4 inch exhaust front to back and a air intake system from S&B. Nothing else I could find that was aftermarket.

Truck runs great. Turbo is load as heck when in boost and if I rail it, a wall of smoke comes bellowing out the exhaust.

3/4 to the floor I'm in boost and it's just a nice haze, nothing crazy.. until I hit my final gear and it's pretty heavy but nothing like if I floor it.

Where to start with this situation?!

I also noticed the air filter is old so the breathing may be constricted a bit, just bought a new one from S&B but it's two weeks out.

Thanks! Stoked to have my first Cummins.
(Plan to build a nice light offloading ride for camping and whatnot.)

·
Registered
179 Posts
AFC IS probably all the way forward. Slide it back about 1/2 way.

Reactions: CraneLegs

·
Registered
17,312 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for that!

·
Registered
544 Posts
Maybe check if the fuel plate is still in it or if it’s a modified one. Above reading explains it. Check the stickies to speed your knowledge a little bit.

·
Registered
56 Posts
All the K&B intakes i have seen, have re-useable washable cotton filters (Like a K&N) . Unless it has been replaced with a dry paper filter. I would clean and re oil the filter that is in before making adjustments. You said the filter is restricted. That can make a lot of smoke. You cant make good adjustments with a dirty air filter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All the K&B intakes i have seen, have re-useable washable cotton filters (Like a K&N) . Unless it has been replaced with a dry paper filter. I would clean and re oil the filter that is in before making adjustments. You said the filter is restricted. That can make a lot of smoke. You cant make good adjustments with a dirty air filter.
S&B does make a cleanable filter that I just ordered so once I get that I see how everything looks. Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts