Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been having intermittent issues with both rear calipers locking up or sticking. It only does it one at a time on either the left or right but never both at the same time. If the calipers were sticking (and I think they have to be), why aren't they both doing it at the same time? If it isn't the calipers, what else could it be? Hoses maybe? I have new rear calipers and pads to put on and after today, I'm gonna buy new rotors as well, but I don't want to put the new parts on if it is potentially something else just to smoke the new parts. The only other parts I could think of are the ABS thingy and master cylinder, I didn't see a proportioning valve anywhere.

Opinions?

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
maybe you have bad brake fluid, got a bit of moisture in it.. i would change out the rears and just bleed the system real good.. the rear calipers tend to go before the fronts....at least on my trucks thats the way it happens.not sure why its one or the other, just might be one hangs and the other gets more pressure to it. change them out, shouldnt hurt anything a good flush with fresh brake fluid it always a plus

·
Premium Member
15,615 Posts
Replace the calipers and lube the slides real well with a lube like SilGlide. The calipers have composite pistons in them that deteriorate over time from heat, the brake fluid, and accumulated grime. When they start hanging up it is time to replace them.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Replace and flush the old fluid out, especially if its the original brake fluid, and you shouldnt have any problems with the new calipers and pads.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the advice. I got them tore down last night and will reinstall this evening after work. I will definitely bleed out all the old brake fluid during the process. That's always a good idea and it is usually overlooked as preventative maintenance.

Kyle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.