Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One day my truck just started making this click click click then like 15 seconds would pass and it would do a click click click about every three seconds. It sounds like its coming from ontop of the starter but I have no clue what could be making this sound. it dosent do it untill the truck has been ran for about 5 mins and the sound changes with engine speed to about 1500 rpm then it goes away. any ideas?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sounds like a lifter goin bad if it's near it starter

·
Diesel Head
1,560 Posts
my lift pump ticks like that

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gasoline Sucks my lift pump ticks like that

Yea its coming from the lift pump. I hope it's not a lifter

·
Premium Member
16,224 Posts
Invest $10 in an automotive stethoscope or use a long pipe, screwdriver, etc to your ear to isolate the sound.
There are a few things that can tick on these engines, hard to help without hearing it in person.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
solid lifters shouldn't tick correct? maybe its time for a valve adjustment? One thing i did notice is when I put a fuel cleaner in like red line the sound stopped till i filled my truck up again. bad injector?

·
Registered
348 Posts
I know exactly what sound your hearing "hopfully" can you hear it louder when your standing where youd normally stand while opening the drivers door..kindow like its coming from the tank but still from the front... the liftpump makes a sound like that... its an eazy replacment an afternoon delight

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yea and you can really hear it when your in like a drive thru to get food against a wall with the window down. Is the lift pump going out?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the more I think about it, sometimes in the morning if I have lets say 1/4 tank of fuel the truck will misfire like it's running out of fuel and sometimes even die. But if I have over 1/2 tank of fuel it runs fine. but yes the sound comes from the fuel tank and by the drivers side. really annoying

·
Registered
83 Posts
when its clicking try putting pressure on the priming bulb on the lift pump. mine did the exact same thing and it was a bad lift pump and the ticking went away if i pushed the priming bulb, changed pump no more ticking. oh and it was only 75 bucks canadian at cummins, hate to think what dodge wants for one.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
so a clicking lift pump is a bad thing? Mines been doing it for over a year...Haven't realy seen any issues other then its progressively been getting a little smokier untill warmed up

·
Diesel Head
1,560 Posts
I did the BIC pen spring upgrade and upped the pressure till it got 25psi wfo. With the higher pressure the pumps way louder now. These pumps are known to be about bullet proof and Im told the ticking is normal :thumbsup:

·
Registered
17,610 Posts
.....Im told the ticking is normal
Normal for a pump that is near the end of it's life. The spring that maintains pressure on the cam pushrod is getting weak. The ticking is the rod hammering the cam lobe.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I replaced mine. Holy crap! If I turned the heater on full blast, I couldn't hear the engine Idling any more!

BTW, yesterday was dyno day, so naturally we run the crap out of it for a day. Well, get in the truck this morning, fire it up, and the bottom end is clattering like ten midgets are under the truck hitting the block with sledgehammers!:shock:
Weird thing is, if you even sneeze on the throttle, the sound goes away? I said hell with it, if it blows I get a chance to work on my truck! So I drove to work. Further inspection during lunch revealed a bad motor mount.:hehe:

The Chevy bell mount was touching the crossmember because the motor mount was so crushed. It was brand new 20,000 miles ago...:doh:

·
Diesel Head
1,560 Posts
I asked this question about the ticking lift pump and a ffew guys said theirs has been ticking for 100k miles and still maintains perfect fuelpresssure. Mine started ticking when i did the bic pen spring mod to the OFV.

I have planned on putting a bigger/stronger spring in the pump as honestcharlie did on here. My pump only has 150k on it i thought they lasted alot longer then that? :confused:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks guys, I'm going to replace the pump because if nothing else that "TICK TICK" noise is annoying. Good point on the push-rod slamming into the lobe, another reason to change it. Geno's garage has it listed at around 100 bucks. I'll report back in a few weeks after I change it, going on vacation for a little while. Thanks again! :party018:

·
Premium Member
16,224 Posts
My pump only has 150k on it i thought they lasted alot longer then that?
My stock pump on the 3500 has 272k on it and has been ticking for over 100k.
The pump on my 2500 only went 240K before it started leaking and had to be replaced.
It never ticked though...

·
Diesel Head
1,560 Posts
Ill take ticking over leaking :D

·
Registered
315 Posts
Replaced mine and the spring was definately getting weak... started better... couple more pounds of boost WOT... and best of all no more TICK!

·
Registered
8 Posts
with your guys' weak lift pumps did it idle really rough as well as the ticking noise?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts