Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off hello to everyone here. I'm very glad there are places like this to come and ask questions and gather information.

I'm currently driving a 2004 Ford F250 with a PS. I'm in the process of buying a house and can use all the $ I can get. I've checked the value of my truck and believe I can get about 23 to 26 thousand out of it. I don't want a gasser. I've read about the reliability and simplicity of the 12V Cummins, just make sure to take care of the KDP.

There is a local guy that does a ton of work with the Cummins trucks. He does work on the engines and resells them (I think he makes his living doing this). I've seen some of his products and he seems very knowledeable about what he's doing. Plus he's about 10 miles from me so he can work on it in the future. I spoke briefly to him this w/end and he said he likes dealing with the 98 trucks bcuz he can turn them around the fastest.

What I'm thinking is finding a truck in the 100,000 to 150,000 mile range and having him do his thing to it. He said he has one currently with about 115,000 miles that's making something like 600 for torque and I didn't ask the HP. I would like something I can drive about 5 times a week with diesel power and be able to get some descent gas mileage (maybe 18 MPG).

How will these compare to my PS? My impression is that they're very reliable and simple. Is this correct? What kind of power expectations would be realistic for a daily driver that won't break the fuel budget? Would it be possible to have stacks, make a little smoke, and still be a civil/docile truck?

Thanks everyone for the info and sorry for the long winded post.

FRL III

·
Premium Member
2,348 Posts
well first :welcome:

The 12v cummins is one of the simplest engines you will ever come across, it is like a little brigsandstraton engine. You will like it alot better then that PS or powerjoke. If you keep your foot out of it you should be able to get 18mpg out of it, different air filter and stiaght pipe exhaust maybe more mpg.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Very few power upgrades will result in less mileage. In fact, a lot of them will increase mileage. The problem there is that the things are fun to drive so you had to resist stomping on the skinny pedal.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks folks. I really think I'm going to do this. Running this vehicle sounds like some fun. Plus getting away from the PS would be a relief. It just seems like there is a lot of 'things' to go wrong with that motor. I think I'm going to call the guy this week and go over to his place to talk about some options. I'll update here when I find out more.

·
AlGores worst nightmare
1,953 Posts
DO it!:thumbsup If you simply make a #100 fuel plate, it won't even affect fuel mileage until you stand on it, and then it will smoke.
I get 18-20 all summer around town. I'm down around 15 now due to winter blend fuel.

·
AlGores worst nightmare
1,953 Posts

·
SC Chapter President
1,288 Posts
I'm not sure where you are, But I have one of my 12 valves for sale!! 8500.00 obo

·
Registered
98 Posts
I would definitely buy the dodge with a CUMMINS once you go CUMMINS YOU WON'T WANT TO DRIVE ANYTHING ELSE :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

·
SC Chapter President
1,288 Posts
Driving a powerstroke is like making love to the ugly girl in the neighborhood. It's fun to drive, just hope none of your friends catch you!!!

·
Registered
962 Posts
If you are planning on adding power do yourself a favor and get a manual trans. The auto will be an expensive upgrade at over $5000. You can do a clutch for $1500.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts