Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few questions about trans issues since my V/B install.
I got an HTS valve body from FBD and installed it Saturday. I took it for a test drive and everything seemed fine. The things I noticed are the 1st and 2nd part throttle shifts happen almost instantly which isn't a big deal.
The main issue is when I leave a stop light it goes 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, when it is in 4th forth for a little bit it seems like it is either downshifting and upshifting or the converter is locking and unlocking. I think it is the converter locking and unlocking, what do you guys think? The truck never did anything like this until the V/B install.
What could be causing this and what is the fix for it?

Thanks for the help!

Aaron

·
On call 24/7
12,576 Posts
There are several fixes for this. Make sure you battery cables are tight and clean and some people wrap the cables in aluminum foil. There is a noise reducer that some tranny company makes that is supposed to be the fix but I cant think of who it is.

·
Lifetime Member
475 Posts
search for the sponge

·
Registered
963 Posts
Besides the erratic converter disengaging , how are the shifts with that v/b. Hard , soft , slamming ? Just researching for mine sometime in the near future ?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are several fixes for this. Make sure you battery cables are tight and clean and some people wrap the cables in aluminum foil. There is a noise reducer that some tranny company makes that is supposed to be the fix but I cant think of who it is.
I have done a little searching on here about that but what I don't understand is why all of a sudden after the VB install?

·
On call 24/7
12,576 Posts
I dont know, my tranny did this from time to time with upgraded vb and tc. I got the truck with the upgrades in it so I dont know if it related.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Besides the erratic converter disengaging , how are the shifts with that v/b. Hard , soft , slamming ? Just researching for mine sometime in the near future ?
The shifting doesn't seem to crazy to me but I also drive a 1100hp car on the street.LOL.
The shifts happen fast but they are not neck snapping. I hope that helps.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One thing that just popped into my head was we did install a new battery @ the same time we did the V/B.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep I purchased the DTT "sponge" noise filter and installed it and guess what it changed, jack didily squat!::doh:

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
Yep I purchased the DTT "sponge" noise filter and installed it and guess what it changed, jack didily squat!::doh:
I bet it didn't! BTW, DTT's product is a noise filter. That other thing is someone else's.

The issue is in the valve body, not electrical noise.

First, the second gear shift should not come right off idle. If your shifts are stacked, it can feel like the TC is cycling when it's really just doing what the PCM is programmed to do. That's lock in 3rd, unlock, shift to OD and then lock again.

Dave

·
Premium Member
12,068 Posts
Sounds like throttle cable is out of adjustment or incorrectlly installed. The next thing is question the quality of aftermarket solenoids and whether you have the correct ones in your new valve body. 99 and 00 will fit in wrong VB"s. The vehicle electronics will not work the wrong vb's correctlly. The RPM sensor on extension could also be a cause.
I'm not sure you are describing a shift issue or a after lockup hunt?
Someone else mentioned the shifting as 1st to 2nd, to 3rd, to lockup, and to OD with lockup coming back on shortly after achieving 4th. (OD unlocks during the shift) This is correct.
Generally the lockup hunt occurs at constant speed in range of 50-60 MPH. Several threads ago I indicated many other issues could cause hunting and 100% fix was not realstic with just a add on black box.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Does anyone have a link or write up on adjusting the throttle cable correctly? I want to double check that just to be sure.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well after driving it more it seems that it might be the 3-4 shift and not the TC locking/unlocking.
Could this be a incorrect cable adjustment?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts