Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '95 Ram 2500 Cummins and the A/C hasn't been working. It's been 90+ degrees here in Michigan so I thought I'd fix it.

I changed the condenser because mine got bashed by a rock. When I was adding refrigerant, it didn't even take one 12 ounce can. The pressure reading on the low side was HIGH!! It's holding pressure but one can has a really high pressure reading.

Does the compressor need to be replaced? What would cause this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
208 Posts
A/c

Did you evacuate (put under vacuum) to remove the air prior to adding the refrigerant? I've had to refill my system without having a vacuum pump and I just added the refrigerant (low side) and vented some gas off (high side) and I eventually got enough air out of the system that it worked fine. I believe I used about 3 cans total. Best of luck, Dave.

·
Registered
11,476 Posts
In the old days of r-12 people learned they could loosen the valve in one of the ports and it would create a vacuum in the a/c system. After running the engine for 1/2 hour to an hour for a sufficient vacuum they could then install the freon. I know there is a right and a wrong port for this and I do not recall if it was on the high or low side.

If you lost any oil from the compressor it will have to be replaced or the pump could sieze up. This may be one time that paying someone to do this right could be worth it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you evacuate (put under vacuum) to remove the air prior to adding the refrigerant? I've had to refill my system without having a vacuum pump and I just added the refrigerant (low side) and vented some gas off (high side) and I eventually got enough air out of the system that it worked fine. I believe I used about 3 cans total. Best of luck, Dave.
Thanks! Yeah I took to my mechanic buddy who has the A/C recharging machine. We vacuumed the system for 25 mins. Upon recharging, the low side pressure skyrocketed to dangerous levels after less than 12 ounces of refrigerant. He told me there's probably a blockage, either in the orifice tube or accumulator. Does anyone know how difficult these are to change out?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In the old days of r-12 people learned they could loosen the valve in one of the ports and it would create a vacuum in the a/c system. After running the engine for 1/2 hour to an hour for a sufficient vacuum they could then install the freon. I know there is a right and a wrong port for this and I do not recall if it was on the high or low side.

If you lost any oil from the compressor it will have to be replaced or the pump could sieze up. This may be one time that paying someone to do this right could be worth it.
The compressor works, just there's a blockage somewhere in the accumulator or orifice tube. Is this a labor intensive repair? Parts are only $50 but my buddy said it can get expensive.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.