Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Live someplace where its hot and muggy throughout the year?
Does you a/c work great on the highway only to get hot and stinky at a stoplight and then get cold again once you start moving?

Well, assuming your cooling fan and your a/c system are all in working order; I have a solution that some of you might be interested in.

Working from the front of your radiators to the rear, it goes like this ( at least for my 2006)
Condenser > Intercooler > HUGE 2 INCH AIR GAP > Radiator

That 2 inch air gap destroys our a/c condenser's efficiency because air will travel through the path of least resistance which happens to be that gap. At speed there is enough ram air from forward motion to effectively cool the condenser but once you stop, air is no longer forced through the condenser and instead bypasses the intercooler and condenser, only hitting the radiator.

What I did to combat this is through the combined use of corrugated plastic sheeting, aluminum and foam packing boards; I successfully was able to force air through the condenser and easily hit between 42 and 47 degree air at the far drivers side air vent (the furthest from the evaporator) in 100+ degree F Texas heat AT IDLE in a MEGA CAB.

Also, I know people will ask but no my truck has not overheated with this mod nor has it overheated while pulling my 8000 lbs camper across Texas.

My work isn't the prettiest but it gets the job done. Any questions, just ask.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Essentially you "boxed in" the top and bottom of the radiator so the air would be forced to pass through the intercooler and therefore the condenser ?

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
All this talk of people having bad fan clutches. Maybe it was just the two inch gap haha

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Moose, you hit it right on the head and it works very well. I highly recommend something similar to everyone, even the 4th gen guys.

I wonder if the Dodge engineers that designed that 2 inch air gap have a partnership with the people who make the fan clutches 🤔🤔

·
Registered
4 Posts
Great idea, I instead added an electric fan to the front of the a/c condenser. I put it on a manual switch so I can turn it off and on as needed. Other benefit, bit alsi helped push air over the intercooler and the transmission cooler as well. This also helped at the slower speeds of towing up hills.

Just another idea

·
Trying to learn
7,873 Posts
With my fan clutch setup, I have no need for an extra fan, or this mod and coolant temps are great, along with the best A/C performance ever.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
last year in mid 90s, cause I measured, I was putting out 38-39* at idle at the vents. None of these crazy mods. Just everything nice and clean. The truck will freeze you to death and even in the 90s I can't run it on full cold for very long, usually just long enough to do the initial cooling.

Everything is 3 years old and not a ton of miles though. New condenser, compressor, lines, drier, etc. Also radiator and trans cooler are both slightly newer and clean/no bent fins.

I have a stronger feeling you have something else wrong that this is covering for, pun intended... :)

I originally was looking into the mod to shut off the lines into the heater in the cab so it doesn't bleed heat into the cold air like it's prone to stock. Then wondered why bother when the truck freezes me to death.

·
Registered
4 Posts
With my fan clutch setup, I have no need for an extra fan, or this mod and coolant temps are great, along with the best A/C performance ever.
Glad your clutch fan mode works for you. Unfortunately in really high heat in az, with all the large gaps from The radiator forward. It doesn't matter how much the clutch fan runs, it can't pull enough air all the way from the front past the condenser.

·
Trying to learn
7,873 Posts
Worked well at the 110º-112ºf the year before last. Not like AZ desert 'tho. Glad you found a fix.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If u don't mind, I'm always looking for extra ways to make my truck work better. What exactly did u so to the clutch fan assembly?

Thank u for your time

·
Trying to learn
7,873 Posts
2003-2007 DODGE COMMON RAIL CUMMINS OWNERS - Due to the frequent problems with the OEM electronic fan clutch, you may be interested in switching to a good mechanical clutch solution. This adapter will allow you to make this change. You will need a mechanical fan clutch from a 1994-1997 Ford Powerstroke Diesel Pickup available in several brands from your local auto parts suppliers. Check the list below for the necessary parts combinations. In order to use your existing engine fan blade, you must have the 6-Bolt blade assembly (typically found on 03-08 trucks only).

REQUIRED PARTS (by vehicle):

• 2003-2007 5.9L COMMON RAIL - Dodge Pickup
(1) This Assembled Cummins Fan Hub Adapter
(1) Ford 94-97 Fan Clutch (see recommendations above)
Your Stock 6-Bolt Fan Blade

From here fan clutch conversion

1 - 13 of 13 Posts