Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone of you guys/gals had problems with your A/C being warm when first started. My ambient air temp is 82 degrees. I hear the compresser cycling and the A/C evap temp is warm. But when I drive, it cools normally. I was curious so I hooked up gauges and monitored the High side pressure. I jumped well over 450 psi!!!! So I ran a fan on the condenser and it began to cool normally. The fan was spinning, but the engine was not warm enough to lock the viscous clutch. I am planning to run an electric fan on the condenser... Would that be a good ideal? Or just make sure I am moving before I turn on the A/C or make sure I am at operating temp before I use my A/C.... ? Anyone have any advise/inputs with my little problem/factory defect? :peelout

·
Registered
227 Posts
Anyone of you guys/gals had problems with your A/C being warm when first started. My ambient air temp is 82 degrees. I hear the compresser cycling and the A/C evap temp is warm. But when I drive, it cools normally. I was curious so I hooked up gauges and monitored the High side pressure. I jumped well over 450 psi!!!! So I ran a fan on the condenser and it began to cool normally. The fan was spinning, but the engine was not warm enough to lock the viscous clutch. I am planning to run an electric fan on the condenser... Would that be a good ideal? Or just make sure I am moving before I turn on the A/C or make sure I am at operating temp before I use my A/C.... ? Anyone have any advise/inputs with my little problem/factory defect? :peelout
Just change out the viscous clutch and this will cure your problem.:thumbsup I would do it soon before it goes completly or you will start having some overheating issues.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have not noticed any problems like what you are having. As soon as the AC turns on it seems to instantly start cooling down - although I normally dont sit all day with the AC running

·
Registered
47 Posts
new one

just had to put a new unit in my 06...
Can not believe a truck with 80k on it has to have a new units...
just quit on me one day driving home..
ck'd it out with help form the forum... and it was toast..
actually the clutch was bad.. but it is to new to get clutches...

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have not noticed any problems like what you are having. As soon as the AC turns on it seems to instantly start cooling down - although I normally dont sit all day with the AC running
The A/C does not run all day without the truck moving, but I don't want to kill my A/C compressor spiking over 450psi on the high side....

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just change out the viscous clutch and this will cure your problem.:thumbsup I would do it soon before it goes completly or you will start having some overheating issues.

I have no overheating issues what so ever. Takes me about 10 minutes of driving to have the thermostat open. And I have never gone over 210F. I will see if I can compare my "cold" fan clutch manners with the same generation truck.

·
Registered
227 Posts
you may not be seeing any overheating issues at this time, but that does not mean that you wont soon. i have seen this way to many time and have seen people spend alot of money trying to figure out this condition. Trust me change out the fan clutch and you will fix your problem.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
you may not be seeing any overheating issues at this time, but that does not mean that you wont soon. i have seen this way to many time and have seen people spend alot of money trying to figure out this condition. Trust me change out the fan clutch and you will fix your problem.

Sounds good, I will take your advise and keep you posted if it made a difference.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've had similar problems with my '06. Compressor comes on and then kicks out like it is low on pressure. Works fine after you start driving. Let me know if the fan makes a difference. Is there a part number for the new fan clutch?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts