Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my ac compressor locked up yesterday and burnt the belt up and all that good stuff. my question is i went to oreillys to price a new one and they had one that with intercooler and one without intercooler. and 100 dollers in price differnece. but whats the difference? my truck is a 93 intercooled truck but why does that affect the compressor?

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
mounting to the truck is different, also, on the ones from oreillys make sure you get the ones that are for the 93 a 91.5 is different!!! i got mine, and it came with different electrical connections, and they also come ready for 134A.... i got mine from ebay for 30 bucks with shipping... id look around before blowing 300 bones...

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I can tell you with near certainty that you don't need a compressor. The pulley freewheels on the clutch bearing and the compressor doesn't turn unless the ac is selected. If you go out there now and without the engine running you can't turn the pulley, your clutch bearing is seized. If your compressor was seized the belt would turn normally until you select ac when the belt and clutch would squeel.

The clutch brg is worth about $36 my cost. You don't even discharge the refrigerant to replace it. Everything you deal with is outside the seals. You unbolt the compressor from it's mounts and leave it hanging on the hoses, turned so you can get at the nose. There's a snap ring you remove and a puller needed to remove the clutch. Replace the bearing and re-install the clutch. Probably about an hour job, depending on how hard it is to get the comp loose.

You could probably buy the tools you need and the brg and still be under half the price of a compressor.

Steve g

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the info guys. but come to find out upon further inspection of it when i got home the ac is fine. the water pump was my culprit. im glad to cause its a lot cheaper haha

1 - 6 of 6 Posts