Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well heres the story...

Took the truck on a nice long drive (7000km) last month and it was fairly warm in alberta and sask. So i had the AC going. while i was stuck in rushour traffic the thing started blowing hot air (lovely...)

Anyways, the clutch still makes its normal clicking sound when the ac is turned on but it doesnt engage the compressor. It appears that their are a few little tabs that are busted off but i cant say for sure as i havent taken a good look at the clutch before.

Anyone have a diagram or pictures or something of these clutches?

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok, finally tracked down a pic on google... Appears to be the same clutch...

Anyways, the 3 thin metal tabs (circled) are broken on mine. The ring (with the arrow pointing to it) spins free of the belt pulley and the compressor hub (with engine off of course)

What would happen if i just got in there with the welder and zapped the hub to that ring (with the arrow pointing to it)?

Does those broken tabs indicate that the compressor has seized up at some point or is it a typical thing to happen to a half million km/abused truck?

i can spin the compressor easily by hand...

·
SUPER MODERATOR
1,891 Posts
I think your compressor siezed and when it kicked on the clutch those pins act like a shear pin to save your belt so you dont get left on the side of the road

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Well, it was pretty warm out again today so i just said F'k it and put a couple of tack welds on the clutch...

Works like new!

Went and priced out a compressor and clutch locally... $600 for a reman unit, plus my time pissing around with it and recharging it. No thanks, that will cost about half of what i payed for the truck!

All seems good so far. i think it sheared those 'tabs' more or less because the truck has almost a half million km's on it and that clutch has probably cycled 2 million times and every time it does it gets a shock load. eventually something is going to give out...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts