Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

A/C compressor clutch not engaging

57566 10
Well it's starting to get HOT, and I want A/C. Went to turn it on and nothing. Clutch didn't even pretend to engage.

Tried putting r134a in it and that did nothing, replaced the relay that did nothing. Checked all fuses, but from what i read in the hanes manual i couldn't even find a fuse associated with it. Did i miss a fuse?

Also it just started doing this. In the fall when it ran, the compressor would turn on for 1-2 seconds, then off for 1-2 seconds, then on, off, on, off, repeat. Read that could be low charge so i put a can on it and it read full. didn't fix the clutch engaging/disengaging like that.

what else could it be?
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
I would check to see if you are getting power to the compressor and go from there.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
how do i check that though? is there a trick to getting the plug off the compressor? i felt all around it and couldn't feel any clips, and couldn't pull it apart either.

miss a clip or just need to pull harder?

·
Registered
279 Posts
how do i check that though? is there a trick to getting the plug off the compressor? i felt all around it and couldn't feel any clips, and couldn't pull it apart either.

miss a clip or just need to pull harder?
I just went and took a look at mine. Looks like you push down on the top of the connector and then pull.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Some compressors (like my aftermarket) don't have a plug "on the compressor housing".
From the clutch, 3-4 inches of 2-wire comes out, and then there's the plug.

To check for proper pressure, hook up the gauges... check the low-side and high-side readings.

If you want to check if the clutch actually works, just jump the pressure switch on the line.
The compressor should engage, yet don't leave it running like that (just use it to check).

·
Registered
577 Posts
Hmm... something deeper going on in there.

So, pressure switch is jumped, yet the compressor didn't engage?
Was the a/c system turned on when you jumped it?

·
Registered
647 Posts
hmm.. theres a 20amp fuse under the hood in the fuse box its the one in the middle. I believe that has to do with the ac compressor. Because when my clutch went bad everytime i would try to turn my ac on it will pop the fuse. And at the shop they said my clutch was bad. So I'm assuming that could be it?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.