Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted on here a week or so ago about my A/C, I've determined the compressor is going bad. It makes a weird noise when it's not engaged, but once I turn the A/C on it goes away. My Question is could I buy a belt that is meant for a truck without A/C and bypass the compressor without actually removing the compressor. Until I can get it replaced, I'm in fear of the compressor ceasing up completely. Any info is appreciated.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Whats the noise sound like and can you hear it over the noise of the engine?.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Yes that is what I did. Go to the Napa website and they have an option for non ac or ac. I simply got the part number from the website and went to my current Napa and they had it. I would get the part number but I'm struggling to type this on my wireless cellular device machine

Sent from my C771 using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
743 Posts
Also. The pulley is different on the tensioner pulley. I just threw the belt on and it is working fine after thousands of miles. If you have a few extra bucks, get the idle pulley for the non ac

Sent from my C771 using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
If your noise goes away when you turn on the A/C dont you think it could just be the clutch that is bad? why not get a new clutch and try it?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, I can hear the noise over the engine. It sounds like metal grinding, I have the belt off right now and it's not easy to spin the compressor wheel and it feels like it has play in it. My problem is I'm in MD right now and I have to drive back to VA by Monday for work so I'm just looking to do this for a temporary fix. I appreciate all the info.

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
sounds like its time to drain the system and recharge it, i would find a shop to throw gauges on it for peace of mind.

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
Just change fan belts... There is a NON A/C belt and a A/C belt for these trucks. Just follow the routing sticker on the radiator support.

I would check for black death in the lines... (Ewwww...) :doh:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts