Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 ctd, bone stock, auto transmission. I was talking to someone earlier today and they said that the wastegate is adjustable to push up to 40 lb boost... is that true? if so how can i do it?

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
The rice burner evolution really made a lot of people think that boost=power. The reality is that you only make more boost with more fuel, and the two combined make your power. Your stock wastegate is NOT adjustable although there are mods to make it adjustable. Doing so however will not gain anything. 40 lbs of boost with a stock turbo would be way overboosting both the turbo and the ecm.

An adjustable boost elbow will allow how much pressure the wastegate sees and how quickly.

·
Registered
849 Posts
unbolt it and turn it clockwise i belive you want to tighten the acuator up the tighter the more boost these are threaded right i have pulled mine apart half a dozen times in the past few weeks and cannot remember :banghead:

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
You need some sort of power adder (I.E. fuel/timing box or injectors) before you worry about more boost.

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
spend some time on this site, loads of info here, you cannot add more boost without a boost fooler or a performance box, if you try it without "tricking" the ECM, the ecm will defuel the truck.
that being said the wastegate can be fooled with to push boost up past the stock 20psi, most believe 35psi is pretty much at the max effeciency of the turbo, it will go higher but its just hot air

1 - 5 of 5 Posts