Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

99 hunts at idle for 20 secs then shuts off

934 Views 9 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  scubabear6
Ok i got this one tossed into my lap today. 99 dodge truck will run for about 20 secs really rough then shuts down. can be restarted but does the same thing. Occasionally it will start and run fine then you shut it off it will start running like crap all over. So far they have replaced the fuel transfer pump and fuel injection pump, have checked for air in line all fine. they have replaced a couple of sensors(map and air heater switch, and crank sensor). Heres the real wierd thing if i crack a couple of injection lines it actually runs better and wont shut down, but it still has no throttle responce and no set codes. I'm a ASE heavy truck tech but don't work on theseso if anybody can send me some in sight it would be greatly appreciated.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
687 Posts
Have you checked/replaced the fuel filter? I had something similar happen to me.

· Registered
18 Posts
if ur lift pump is sucking air, the engine will hunt all over. double check ur lines on the suction side of your airdog

· Cummins Fanatic/INJECTION PUMP TECH ADVISOR
419 Posts
How are you pulling the codes? There has to be something set with no throttle response. How does the APPS look in the scanner?

Start with the basics, visually inspect under the hood and under the vehicle for abnormalities, retrieve any codes, and test fuel transfer pressure. One of these three should give you a starting point. Never over look a test that someone else said they did.

· Premium Member
21,579 Posts
i would go back to the last thing you touched before the lift pump and see if you see anything out of place. to me it sounds like the truck is sucking air in the fuel. this is a dumb question but over looked at times......did you put the o-ring back on the lid to the fuel filter? also look for any leaks around the injector lines. we need some more info if you can throw anything at us.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.