Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 99 ram that has got a ton of problems and i dont know where to start. The truck is bone stock except for a fass stock replacement style lift pump. First problem is the truck will over heat even under the lightest loads and when that happens the truck starts to surge when you let off the accelerator pedal. Sometimes is surges so hard up then down the truck will die. Then the truck will randomly not want to start some days it is fine then the next it will crank forever before it starts. The next problem i am having is with the intake heater i have changed the relays probably 3 or 4 times now because they will stick on. The last time it stuck on and got so hot it burned up the heater element. It got so hot it changed the color of the intake elbow and nearly burned the truck down. I have changed the throttle sensor that is up on the engine and the intake air sensor on the back of the engine. The truck is a 5 speed manual. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,205 Posts
Possibly the Death of the VP$$ without throwing any pre-death codes.Grid Heater seems like its probably something with the wiring keeping them always on and not the relays themselves. Overheating can be a clogged radiator from the puke bottle whichcould be drained and cleaned and put back in.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Possibly the Death of the VP$$ without throwing any pre-death codes.Grid Heater seems like its probably something with the wiring keeping them always on and not the relays themselves. Overheating can be a clogged radiator from the puke bottle whichcould be drained and cleaned and put back in.
I killed one vp 44 before i put that aftermarket lift pump on. Probably been like 3 years ago. Truck is kind of a daily driver how long do they usually last? Do the 99s not show codes when you turn the key off and on 3 times? Ive worked on an 02 that would show codes just by doing that. Any tips on how to tell for sure its the injection pump?

·
Registered
19,369 Posts
I can help with some thing, others we ahve to work on a bit.
First, you need to pull the radiator, gunk it down and the wash out all the dirt and grime that is inside all the fins. When you look close you will find it is 90% clogged where the fan is. I can not be cleaned without removal but is not hard to remove. Then reinstall and do a 2 day soak with Prestone flush and flush well.

On 99 you must pull codes with a scan tool, not possible with key. Do it, parts stores will do for free.

Surging could be several things, same for grid heaters. For now(summer and depending on location?) for safety maybe you should disconnect the grid heaters from the battery prior to the relays. We will get back to them after surging issue. They are run by the ECM.
First , pull codes.
Second, What apps is on it, Timbo(has 3 inch pig tail) factory or other? This important compared to $1000 for a new VP or ECM.
Surging and grid heaters might be cause by a bad ECM.
Does teh Wait to Start light come on immediatley wihtthey to ON every time? Ever any starting delays? Does it start on first crank every time? Get back to me.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can help with some thing, others we ahve to work on a bit.
First, you need to pull the radiator, gunk it down and the wash out all the dirt and grime that is inside all the fins. When you look close you will find it is 90% clogged where the fan is. I can not be cleaned without removal but is not hard to remove. Then reinstall and do a 2 day soak with Prestone flush and flush well.

On 99 you must pull codes with a scan tool, not possible with key. Do it, parts stores will do for free.

Surging could be several things, same for grid heaters. For now(summer and depending on location?) for safety maybe you should disconnect the grid heaters from the battery prior to the relays. We will get back to them after surging issue. They are run by the ECM.
First , pull codes.
Second, What apps is on it, Timbo(has 3 inch pig tail) factory or other? This important compared to $1000 for a new VP or ECM.
Surging and grid heaters might be cause by a bad ECM.
Does teh Wait to Start light come on immediatley wihtthey to ON every time? Ever any starting delays? Does it start on first crank every time? Get back to me.
I replaced the apps not to long ago with an aftermarket one from amazon. ill get you the rest of the information

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I replaced the apps not to long ago with an aftermarket one from amazon. ill get you the rest of the information
I drove the truck all afternoon and no stumble or rpm problems at all so im guessing all my problems are heat related. Would the engine overheating cause problems with the apps sensor or pump?

·
Registered
19,369 Posts
What did you adjust the idle voltage on that apps on pin 3 during installation? What was brand and price?

·
Registered
19,369 Posts
I do not know if your aftermarket Chinese apps is junk or not, could be, maybe not.. It is important, I do need to know the exact voltage that you have the apps idle voltage set at now. Probe it and check it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I do not know if your aftermarket Chinese apps is junk or not, could be, maybe not.. It is important, I do need to know the exact voltage that you have the apps idle voltage set at now. Probe it and check it.
I am out of town for a few days ill get that to you as soon as i get home.

·
Registered
19,369 Posts
OK. Do you remember what you set it at?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts