Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1999 dodge 3500 dually, with a 5.9 diesel. I dont have anything done to it. HWat do you guys normally get?? I am getting about 9mpg tops, I am thinkign about setting up propane for it. How would I go about doing this?? I was thinkign 20 lb propane tank, with a regualtor.

What is the most PSI you would use for say like racing, and what for pulling??

I was thinking tank with a regualtor in the back taking it down to 15PSI and another one takign it down to 5PSI and then a valve going into the air intake, would that work??

Thanks a lot

·
I DONT BELIEVE IT!
1,728 Posts
9mpg .......Thats bad man real bad , My 440 with dual quads isnt that bad :$: You need to look into why its so bad , new airfilter , fuel filter , oil change , .......:thumbsup

·
I wanna go fast...
3,471 Posts
IAT sensor, something...That is horrible:$: Have you checked fuel psi?

·
I wanna go fast...
3,471 Posts
I mean...Dang it, I get 19mpg out of mine with 315's...

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well I changed the oil yestarday I will see if that helps, and air filter is new, I havent changed the fuel filter though, I have one I just dont know where its at.

How do I check the Fuel PSI?? What isit supposed to be? Whats the IAT sensor?? Thanks alot

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Where can I find my gear ratio at?

·
I DONT BELIEVE IT!
1,728 Posts
second on the iat what is it ? wonder if i should change mine .....:T:

·
I wanna go fast...
3,471 Posts
Ok, the fuel filter is on the left side of the engine, right behind the intake horn. As for the fuel psi, you will need to check for a fitting in the top of your filter housing to place a temporary gauge to it. The IAT sensor is at the back of the head (there are two sensors, the back one) It involves a 13/16" socket and a little patience. Remove it and clean with a little ether or brakeclean and reinstall. Try that and get back to us...

·
I wanna go fast...
3,471 Posts

·
I DONT BELIEVE IT!
1,728 Posts
hey chris how often do those get dirty ? i hit 200k a few days ago wonder if i should clean it up

·
I wanna go fast...
3,471 Posts
Where can I find my gear ratio at?
Should be on the tag under the hood beside the latch...or in the glovebox:thumbsup

·
I wanna go fast...
3,471 Posts
hey chris how often do those get dirty ? i hit 200k a few days ago wonder if i should clean it up
I don't know when the interval is but I cleaned mine at 253k and it was nasty...Noone had touched it since new, and it give me 1.5mpg alone. This is not something to do every 3k miles, just once a year would be good IMO

·
I DONT BELIEVE IT!
1,728 Posts
sweet brotha ,im gonna have to do that tomorrow

·
I wanna go fast...
3,471 Posts
Let me know how it goes. BTW I'm off to bed...Cant keep up with yall on the West Coast.:butt: The toothpicks have broken on my eyelids.:lol3::lol3:

·
I DONT BELIEVE IT!
1,728 Posts
haha later man :thumbsup

·
Registered
55 Posts
WOW, 9mpg. check the vp pump, fuel filter, injectors, and lift pump. as far as the iat just check and clean it. on the 99 its at the back of the head on the driver side, right at the #5 cylinder. you need a 1 1/4 deep socket to get it out. you have a serious problem some where mine get 25mpg around town. and for gods sake DONT use propane everyone i know that used it blew an engine racing. its very hard on the cylinders. start out with programers and injectors. then if you wanna go big use nitrous. its safer in every way.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK I will try to take it out this weekend. The truck only has 167,000 miles on it. It has 3.55 gears, an dis a 5 speed, I put a K&L filter on it today(like a K&N but WAY cheaper!!)

Whats the vp pump and the lift pump? and how do I check the Injectors?

What does the IAT sensor look like??

Sorry for all the dumb question I have never owned a Dodge or a deisel.

I was thinking about getting a 60-80 horse chip, would that be to much running stock equitment?? Which programmer is the best??? And what is the best set of injectors?
Once agian THANKS A LOT

·
I wanna go fast...
3,471 Posts
For now, I would leave the Injectors alone. The lift pump is on the drivers side of the motor, below the fuel filter. Your filter cap has two brass plugs in it that can be removed to install a pressure sensor. One is before the filter and the other is after the filter. I will try to get some pics of the filter plugs, and the IAT cleaning procedure. I have untill the weekend, so if I don't come through by then, PM me and I will get on it.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I got the fuel filter changed also. I put a k&N like filter on my truck and it improved my 1/4 mile time by 5 seconds, and increased my MPG by about 3mpg. I think a 16 second, 1/4 miles is decent for a completly stock 5 speed???

would a 60 horse chip be to much for a stock truck??

·
I wanna go fast...
3,471 Posts
would a 60 horse chip be to much for a stock truck??
Goodness no!!! The only problem that our trucks have is lack of fuel pressure and a weak automatic. You could start witha Edge Juice with attitude and have all of your gauges, and 120hp gains...I would suggest something to boost your fuel system...Maybe an Airdog?:w::w:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts