Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a truck in the garage that needs to go out in the next few days, i was told it was a rear main seal that is bad, it leaks oil out, but it is not on the rear main, we did a search while the truck was running and can see under it that the power steering is leaking motor oil,

what could that be? I am stumped, do i replace the pump, or a seal, or what?

·
Registered
5,254 Posts
There is a seal in the vacuum drive box that the steering pump bolts to that goes bad and will put oil all under the hood and under the truck. I watched a friend reseal one last Monday.

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
....... the power steering is leaking motor oil
Is the oil leaking from the space between it and the vacuum pump that it is bolted to? If so, Cummins sells the seal kit for about $11. It comes with instructions and pictures. Make a mental note of which way the seal is facing, that picture isn't very good. The easiest way to repair it is to remove the vac pump/pwr steer pump as an assembly. That allows you to reinstall the pwr steer pump without cocking it to one side and to easier mesh the drive assy.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so where can i get the parts? like on the internet, or any parts stores. Cummins shops?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts