Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
6 weeks ago I spent :$::$::$::$: because my head gasket let go, exhaust manifold was cracked, head was cracked so bad I took a core charge on it. New head with titanium springs, retainers, keepers, and o-ringed. ATS manifold, ARP head studs. I had the coolant system flushed and just got done putting $150 of Amsoil and fliters on it, for the second time, and I got home tonite and noticed a puddle under the truck getting bigger and bigger. I crawled under there and the bottom of the oil pan is covered in coolant. I looked toward the rear and the trans pan looks like it took a bath in it and so does the rest of the truck. I look a little closer toward the front, all the while hot coolant is consistantly dripping on my head like a Chinese water torture, to find the block cracked on the left side by the #5 cylinder and coolant is pouring out like Niagra Falls!!! WTF!!!!! I can't win for losing:CRY::CRY:. A new bare block from Cummins, that has been superceeded 8 times, is $2000:$::$:. My wife is ready to divorce me and I hate to say it but I'm ready to dump this thing and go buy a Silverado gaser. $4.20/gal really burns my :butt: and my mpg sucks. My 01 Yukon XL gets better mpg. Anyone have a spare NON 53 block laying around?????

·
Registered
210 Posts
how many miles were on the truck when all this happened. im trying to decide when i need to get rid of mine

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
how much for the manifold, head and studs? :D

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
The fix I use for cracks is to stop drill at each end of the crack grind the block as flat as you can then form a 3/16 or 1/8 plate to fit over the crack, drill and tap 1/4 20 holes in the block and plate bolt the plate to the block using silicone between them this works I have done a lot of cracks this way I call it a inspection cover

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
haha, imagine trying to sell the truck and buddy happens to see the plate...

him "WTF is that?"
you "inspection cover"
him "for what"
you "..."

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
I'd be interested in the head, manifold, springs, and perhaps the woman if you got pictures.

:w:

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
The parts are mine, period.... :butt:

But ill fight you for the lady :rof

Pics first though... :lol3:

after just dropping that ammount of coin into the top end i would be up for trying the inspection plate idea. Its not like your going to hurt the block, nothing to loose except possibly save a few gs!

·
Registered
33 Posts
lockstitch

there's a method called lockstitch but i don't know of anyone who has ever used it. supposed to work well on the 53 blocks that crack. just typ in lockstitch and you should be able to bring it up

·
Premium Member
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
how many miles were on the truck when all this happened. im trying to decide when i need to get rid of mine
107,400 when the head gasket let go and I drove it 500 more miles back home pulling a 25' enclosed snowmobile trailer. It now has 108,500 and the block let go.

·
Premium Member
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'd be interested in the head, manifold, springs, and perhaps the woman if you got pictures.

:w:
You an ykdave are nuts if you want the lady. Hell, I'd let her go before I'd let the parts go. She's 40, long, natural blonde hair, and a real head turner. Remember, she's a woman and they are all the same, nothing but shnooking:RANTIN:. :lol3:

·
Premium Member
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, here's the latest; I cleaned the side of the block off using choke and carb cleaner and found the crack is about 4-5 inches long. I cleaned it again and used Metalset epoxy and smeared it on it about 8:30 last nite. I loosened the rad cap so there is no pressure build up on the system, Fired it up at 6:00 this morning and made a 300mile run down to Thornville, Ohio to pick up a non-53 block that was re-decked and bored .02 over by Enterprise Engine. It came with .02 over pistons, rings, and wrist pins. Since I was there I got a complete lower end gasket set, new head gasket, main and rod bearings, crank and cam seals, cam bearings, and a cam thrust plate. Loaded it all up and made the 300 mile journey home. It only lost a quart of coolant out a little pin hole leak in the epoxy. I'm going to mark the spot, clean it and put some more epoxy up there and drive it to and from work for this week and next weekend start tearing into it. The bright side of this is I get my oil pan gasket leak fixed that I've been dealing with for the last six years. Once it's all together it's going to get a complete paint job by a friend of mine. The hard part is what color do I wnat my engine??

·
Fill Diesel Only
1,033 Posts
Man that sucks. I mean its good you found a block. by you sig you have put a little pride and cash into that truck. Hope this will let you go a few more years trouble free. Maybe ask your wife what color that engine should be. Or maybe its a topic not brought up.

Good luck

·
Premium Member
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The wife and I are doing more yelling than talking right now:lol3:. With this new block job I'm at about $13,500 on it. Trans, gauges, Edge box, head, manifold, exhaust, vp, FASS, and now block job. I've got more into this stuff :$::$::$::$::$:than the truck is worth.

·
Registered
210 Posts
how much did the block run u if u dont mind me asking. im just trying to be prepared........

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
I dont know first hand but I read that cummins will foot the block did you see what they had to say ?

·
Premium Member
25,253 Posts
I dont know first hand but I read that cummins will foot the block did you see what they had to say ?
From what I am aware of, not after 100,000 miles.

LHC, paint the engine Artic Cat green. :lol3:

Dodge | Commins | Forum

·
Registered
97 Posts
where on the motor do i look to find out if i have the 53 block?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts