Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks! Alright first off I'm new to the forum and new to cummins! My first modern day diesel (have an 89 f250 with the 7.3 idi as well) and I'm having some issues. The truck is a 99 24v with a nv4500 and a valair dual disc organic. 125 injectors, raptor lift pump, upgraded intake horn, ts mvp, and gauges. So I ran some injector cleaner about a tank and a half ago, hoping to clear up a lose of power issue that would only happen when the truck was warm. It just would have as much umph, ya know? All the power in the world right after start up (obviously waiting a few mins) until about 15 mins after driving. This cleared up, but left white smoke now when it's warm. Sometimes it's grey. (Not alot of smoke as i try not to really smoke out the road.. not my style) Also if I'm hot rodding around or trying to get on to the threw way 3rd and 4th slip from 2000 to 2400 rpm. No clutch smell. Is it my rear gears? Is it my trans? This is also an intermittent problem. Any and all info is really appreciated! Thank you in advanced.

·
On call 24/7
12,630 Posts
Need to check for codes first. Possibly injector pump issues

·
Registered
326 Posts
x2 on the injection pump issue. How many miles/km on the engine and is it the original VP44?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's got 197k miles, I believe it's the original vp. I checked for codes and there wasn't any, but I didn't hook it to a scanner. Just did the key cycle. I really hope it's not the vp44. That would make my wallet sad

·
On call 24/7
12,630 Posts
The key trick doesn't work on a 99, got to hook up a scanner.

·
On call 24/7
12,630 Posts
It would be a good place to start! Unplug it and see how it runs

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So, I did just that, and she doesn't have as much balls, but after trying to recreate the problem I finally was able to. It still slips. It wasn't as hard as it was with the ts mvp. So the only things it could be in my mind are, input shaft, and rear gears? If that's correct?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So, tore apart the rear end. Removed drive shaft, spun the gears. Look great. No shavings or rounding, haven't dropped the Trans and don't really want to if I can avoid it. Are my symptoms similar to defueling? I am not going to lie, I'm pretty lost with this.

·
On call 24/7
12,630 Posts
The trans and rear end can't slip and then work fine, only the clutch. Go visit Mike at www.mopar1973man.com , I'm sure he can help you

1 - 11 of 11 Posts