Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys!

I posted a fuel injection issue a few weeks ago and got tons of great suggestions. I ended up taking the truck to a local diesel mechanic and he tested all possible issues and determined it really was the lift pump and the vp44. I had them both replaced (reman vp44) and I thought all was well.

It runs fine, but from the day I picked it up, it hesitates to start once it's warmed up. When I start it in the morning, it fires right up, but if I drive 10 miles, shut it off and try to restart it maybe 5 minutes later, it will hestitate (turn over) and finally fire after a few seconds. It seems to be either starved of fuel or getting too much air (or both), but only once it's warmed up.

I've owned this truck for 8 years and it's NEVER done this before, so I am sure it has to have something to do with replacing both pumps.

Any suggestions of where to start looking?

Thanks,
Christine

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Any way of finding out what the fuel pressure is? Is the pump turning on when you first turn the key on?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am assuming the mechanic will check the fuel pressure, but I will ask him.

When I first turn the key, it sounds like the pump comes on just like it always had before being replaced.

If the lift pump isn't pumping at the start, would it only do that when the truck's warmed up or even at cold starts?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts