Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99 24v Cummins that recently started having problems where the tac would drop out while driving or idling and the truck would miss fire and stall out. I replaced the vp-44 the cam position sensor and lift pump. Once that was done the truck ran good for about a week and then started having problems starting. Now sometimes it starts right up other times it won’t start at all (cranks but won’t start). Not sure if something’s telling the truck not to start or what.

·
Super Moderator
4,824 Posts
Did you inspect your wiring harnesses when you replaced everything? It sounds to me like you have a loose connection somewhere or maybe A chaffed wire

·
Registered
23,840 Posts
On a 99 you were supposed to replace the Crankshaft position sensor near the starter in the side of the block.

Reactions: NCC74656

·
Super Moderator
4,824 Posts
On a 99 you were supposed to replace the Crankshaft position sensor near the starter in the side of the block.
Good catch, I missed that that had not been replaced.

OP you should put a scan tool on there and check that the computers are getting the appropriate signals. That's a real quick way to figure out what is and isn't functioning within parameters, especially when it comes to sensors like these

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Didn’t realize they had one there I looked it up and it was saying they either had a sensor by the front of crank behind the balancer or it used the cam signal. Gonna check it out, when I’m cranking it’s seeing some engine speed but only like 100 rpm.

·
Super Moderator
4,824 Posts
Mine is also a 99 and I have both Cam and crank sensor. when I plug my scan tool into it, I can see both crank and Cam and an internal sensor on the VP itself. I think you should get a scan to along there and see what they're all reporting. Make sure that they are all in unison with each other

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mine is also a 99 and I have both Cam and crank sensor. when I plug my scan tool into it, I can see both crank and Cam and an internal sensor on the VP itself. I think you should get a scan to along there and see what they're all reporting. Make sure that they are all in unison with each other
Yeah mine doesn’t show me any sensor signals I’ll have to look into a nicer one. I work on a lot a heavy duty Cummins engines but haven’t a clue where anything is on this little thing and insight won’t connect with this old an engine. Trucks got 320k on the stock pump I figured I may as well start with that and go from there. Was looking into the crank sensor but I was under the impression they used either the cam or vp for engine speed. Gonna check that crank sensor now that I know where it is 😅

·
Super Moderator
4,824 Posts
The engines got changed up between 99 and 2000 and even 2001, they don't have all the same sensors. Very minor changes but still.

I used to have an ethos pro but now I have a Apollo legend, both of them read all my sensors

·
Registered
23,840 Posts
The on on the crank damper is not 98.5-02 factory 98.5 and 99 and I think 00 have the Crank sensor near the starter and a cam sensor on back of the timing cover near the VP. While either can go be bad, the lack of tach or starting and dying, us usually the crank sensor. You should always pull codes with a scan tool.

·
Registered
1999 dodge 2500 laramie SLT 5.9 extended cab auto 2wd 5th wheel hauler
112 Posts
The engines got changed up between 99 and 2000 and even 2001, they don't have all the same sensors. Very minor changes but still.

I used to have an ethos pro but now I have a Apollo legend, both of them read all my sensors
I have a modis ultra and I pay to have it kept current to the tune of about a grand every year. The snapon guy informed me that my tool will no longer be supported and my last update will be in October. I'm pissed About it. He offered to give me a quote on a new tool and I told him hell no. I've spent so much money on that modis and I'm not buying another one that they will decide is obsolete in another 7 years. I know this is irrelevant to the post, but I had to rant. 😆 🤣

·
Super Moderator
4,824 Posts
My snap gave me a pretty good deal when I traded in my ethos pro. Still I think I spent a solid 5000 on my new tool. Full euro and harley

·
Registered
1999 dodge 2500 laramie SLT 5.9 extended cab auto 2wd 5th wheel hauler
112 Posts
My snap gave me a pretty good deal when I traded in my ethos pro. Still I think I spent a solid 5000 on my new tool. Full euro and harley
My buddy has a triton D8 which is a bit thinner, and cord is longer than mine, but otherwise it's about the same as far as capability. They both have the 2 channel scope, touch screen, and the altus account, they seem to run at the same speed. I'm just mad that they decided to phase me out for no obvious reason other than to sell me another scan tool. I'm considering a different brand for my next one. Maybe the maximus 4.0 I really like the ability to snapshot my screen and it sends to my laptop and after October I lose that ability. The only thing my Altus account will be good for will be for my thermal imager. I was hoping to get through the rest of my career without buying another scanner.

·
Registered
23,840 Posts
There should not be anythng to up date on old trucks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Alright so I got a scanner on the truck and was able to read my engine speed, while I was watching it on the scanner it dropped off on the dash and started misfiring and even shut off all together. Scanner was reading a clean signal the entire time. Anyone ever seen that?

·
Registered
23,840 Posts
Codes? What dropped off, Tach? If so may equal bad crandshaft sensor.

·
Registered
23,840 Posts
Replace it anyway. If not that it may be the ECM for $1000.
Does wait to start light cone on every time when your turn the key to ON?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Replace it anyway. If not that it may be the ECM for $1000.
Does wait to start light cone on every time when your turn the key to ON?
No it doesn’t, I’ve been having problems with the wait to start not coming on at all on occasion or it’s very delayed other times. I’ll also try and get a new sensor coming.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
2nd gen has both crank and cam sensor thru 00. My 00 has had several times when it would have intermittent no start and normal crank and no codes. When all else fails, replace the crank sensor.

You don't need to remove the wiring harness to the starter unless you want to check the solenoid contacts. Disconnect the batteries, remove the bolts holding the starter in, set the starter on the rail (or control arm I forget) and replace the crank sensor.

Sometimes the sensor is stuck. Keep rotating it until it comes out. If you break it, chisel it out with a screwdriver. It is not necessary to chisel unless you get aggravated and break it.

It is a good idea to check the starter solenoid contacts but if you know they're good, don't bother disconnecting the wiring harness. Bolts come out with 12 point 10mm wrench and socket. Use a bottle or floor jack if the bolts are tight and you need more umph to get them loose. You may need a cut 2x4 or something to reach the wrench.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts