Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a new to us 98 2500 4x4 with a NV5600....I have a couple of questions...
1-sometimes it's hard to find the gears with the shifter. I'm wondering if the springs in the shifter tower might be weak?
2-sometimes when you pull up to a stop, if you take it out of gear, when you go to put it in, you have to pull very hard to do so. this seems to be the case when trying to put it into any gear (I try to go to 4-6th and then into 1-2 but get the same results. It does not happen all the time??
thoughts??

·
Registered
515 Posts
Don’t know about the shifter part
My truck would do the hard to get into gear part when I bought it. It became worse over time, to the point I would put the transfer case in neutral, then the transmission in gear, then 2hi.
It turned out to be the clutch hydraulics weren’t enough to hold the clutch once it wore a little bit. The PO had put a clutch in with some monsterous pressure plate. As the clutch wore, the throw out bearing moves slightly down the fingers, this slight loss in leverage (new it would be on the end of the fingers) was the only thing a clutch shop in Atlanta could see was causing the problem. The clutch disc was about 1/2 way through it’s service life. New clutch and PP (toned down) fixed it right up. This also was on an upgraded 5spd that had the bigger input shaft and 6spd clutch and flywheel setup. Kept the same hydros.

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
OP.
It is a somewhat ignorant truck trans , i wish it was smoother car acting unit .
With a duel disk clutch and apparatus ,, then its just ignorant natured.

Do not pull too hard ( damaging syncros ) , let truck drift a foot then re try .
From a stationary position , it takes me 3 min or 3-4 tries to get it into reverse . If someone can get it into reverse in less than1 min , ill give them 20$.
This is all new stuff with 5k , granted some hard usage .

This is just my opinion based on how mine in the 94 acts. Only thing i have to judge by.
The gear spread is horrible as well . Not opinion , but fact. Glad its just a bomber truck and not a hauler .

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
What are you talking about? The 5 spd? The OP has a 6spd and it sure is NOT an ignorant tranny.

OP, if you have a thick floor mat, pull it out and try it, sometimes they will cause a hard shift due to the clutch not fully releasing.

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
What are you talking about? The 5 spd? The OP has a 6spd and it sure is NOT an ignorant tranny.

OP, if you have a thick floor mat, pull it out and try it, sometimes they will cause a hard shift due to the clutch not fully releasing.
You are correct . My Bad.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We have a new to us 98 2500 4x4 with a NV5600....I have a couple of questions...
1-sometimes it's hard to find the gears with the shifter. I'm wondering if the springs in the shifter tower might be weak?
2-sometimes when you pull up to a stop, if you take it out of gear, when you go to put it in, you have to pull very hard to do so. this seems to be the case when trying to put it into any gear (I try to go to 4-6th and then into 1-2 but get the same results. It does not happen all the time??
thoughts??
I think you may on track here...when the PO bought the truck, they told her it was a "non-stock" clutch and it never shifted well....I've recently purchased a SB clutch for it (not sure of the model number but think it's rated for 425 hp. In the meantime when it came to us, I bought new stock hydraulics for it...made it a bit better but there is still the occasional issue. Today, I bought the SB hydraulics to see if it helps currently and probably a good purchase for when the new clutch goes in....
all that being said, after spending several hours with a 6 speed, I would never go back to 5..esp for hauling. I'd pick up bottles and cans alongside the road to get the 6.....it's awesome..
thanks for the input folks (fyi, the floor mats are not an issue though that is a good point!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts