Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My amber ABS and red brake lamps illuminated while driving today. They stay lit all the time, even after restarts. Braking is good, but no more anti-lock.

I physically checked all that I could, Is this a common or known type problem. Any ideas before I take it in for repair ??

·
Registered
604 Posts
It's usually a very common problem. Most likely your rear wheel speed sensor; it used to be around $40 from the dealer and almost always fixes the problem.
mishkaya

·
Go for Broke
7,953 Posts
:agree2:....common problem

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If my rear wheel sensor is bad, wouldn't my speedo not work ?

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
The rear sensor is only a reluctor sensor that tells the ABS computer if the wheel is rolling or not. It has NO effect on the speedometer. The speedometer is driven by a gear in the tranfer case. There are other things that can do this, (for instance on mine, I have both lights on because the relay for the ABS motor is stuck on-and is unplugged :() But I would lean to conventional wisdom on this.

That said, a scanner can pick up brake codes and you can verify it. Mine picks up codes, but I haven't searched them out because I already know what's wrong. Usually you have to hunt down brake codes as the scanner book won't have specific manufacturer brake codes.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I just had that problem it was just a fuse. I did not have an brakes lights and the brake and ABS light was on.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies, I'm going to replace the rear wheel sensor. Continuity to the front sensors are 1K ohms, I measure an open across the rear. The wire harness to the rear checked OK. Two dealers parts dept already closed for the weekend. I figure I'll change it out, as I have a lot more to lose $$ by taking it any where for repair. Wish me luck :kick:

EDIT: 5/29/08 - I replaced the rear wheel speed sensor, $46 at my Dodge dealer. ABS & BRAKE lamps are now off. Problem solved.

Thanks to all that replied.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts