Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking into a 98 qclb 4x4 auto with only 96k on it. It's bone stock but looks like it needs about 3k in work to resolve a few issues. Paint is mediocre, it appears to have been cheaply painted... which I suppose might be slightly better than peeling and fading original paint. I want a 12v in the worst way, and quad cab doors are a must due to needing a rear facing car seat in the back. I know these things are rare, but just how much does that play into fair market value? Truck has no rust either.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Really depends on the area and how much someone is willing to pay. I wouldnt give more than maybe 5k for what you described. How much are they asking for it?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They're asking 15k. Seems kinda high to me too.

·
Registered
17,336 Posts
You are asking the wrong question. A better one would be how much would you be asking for your 98 qclb 4x4 automatic California emissions truck if you put it up for sale? Those who give low ball answers already have a 2nd gen 12 valve, so another one isn't high on their priority list. Mine is a '97 club cab duelly with close to 1.4 million miles and over 400,000 miles on it's current engine. You could offer $20k to me in $100 bills and I wouldn't sell it.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Youd be in it for around 20k after repairs and pain. That's crazy imo. I dont have a 12v but would like to have one. That said I still wouldnt pay top shelf price for a truck needing that much in repairs.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I just picked up, last June in Albany OR, a 96 CCLB with only 220,000mi. on it for $6,000. The paint was so so, the dash was bad the interior was dirty but easily fixable, transmission was gone through about 20k mi. ago, no rust as it spent most of it's life in central Oregon. Not a quad-cab but maybe gives you an idea of what the values are. Bone stock 12V, all tamper proof screws still intact the truck ran well. I bought it for a donner truck.
All this being said it depends on what they are going for in your area, which I am very familiar with, and how bad you want one. I ended up going to Boise Idaho for my first one after looking for a long time.
Hope it helps.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm still not sure what to do though. 98 quad cab 12v trucks are harder to find than ever and I'm concerned that if I don't take the plunge sooner than later I might regret it.

·
Registered
19,423 Posts
I am familiar with your location ad n the fact that in winter many places in the canyon never see sun or dry out in winter, and down the road is salt water. So what is the rust situation with it? So what are those 3000 worth the things other than paint. Unless you have a clean dry body you want to switch, anything with any body rust or bad frame rust is not worth the effort or any price. Fit your car seat before buying. It will likely fit in center.

Reactions: 98whitelightnin

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It still has the block mounted lift pump and seems to have an issue with stalling upon startup unless you feather throttle. O/D button doesn't work, KDP needs done, front end has a clunk. That's pretty much it as far as I can tell. Rust is very minimal and limited to surface stuff underneath.

·
Registered
19,423 Posts
"KDP" ?Front end will likely need track bar, control arms, ball joints, and if play in steering tie rod ends or steering gear. Clunk if when turning would track bar, if backing and stopping control arms.
Not familiar with stalling on 12 valve, I am guessing KDP is also a 12v thing?
If paint came off in large areas, especially red or white, it was common back then before clear coat paints were a well refined process.
You can spend $1000 on enamel paint or 5 grand on a clear coat. Then there is do it yourself if you can spray.
Which dash does it have OD button on dash or shifter? Old, 97 style or 98.5 version?
Like anything else value depends on demand(desire of buyer) and availability and quality, meeting of minds of seller and buyer.
Remember there is the alternative of PPump on a 24v if VP is what you are trying to avoid.

"OD button does not work" Does OD not come on at all or does not shut off when pushed?

·
Registered
17,336 Posts
The stalling is probably a simple idle adjustment. What RPM does it idle at in gear, ac on at operating temp?

The value is commensurate to how badly you want it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts