Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at the 98 , and I have one bigger one up by the apps (not in use , converted to a manual ) and one down on the injection pump that rather thin.

2 reasons for askin

Truck has 4 k gov springs , giant DVs and duel disk ect ect , throttle is ignorant touchy combined with the rear spring wrap , and she gets the hoochey scoots bucking pretty easy . So if I'm missing a spring down at the pump it might help with this . Maybe .

I seem to remember Games on here post a pic of what the linkage , springs and bushings were supported to,look like plus there were different vintages of linkage set ups . One of his linkage pictures had 2 springs as remember

Thank you

·
Registered
17,096 Posts
Yes I have posted a picture of the springs. Rather than making you use the search function I'll post the '97-'98 setup again. In return, it is capital G, capital A, first initial, last name.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you sir GAmes .
Yeah those were what I " remembered "

The set up on this truck , looks a bit different so it may be earlier .

·
Premium Member
4,673 Posts
Old setups have a super ghetto spring that goes through a hole on the braket.
No fancy clipy things like on newER trucks.

·
Registered
17,096 Posts
Good grief. Here is the '94-'96 setup. The little bracket bolts to the IP support.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,673 Posts
The used 160 pump i bought has that exact setup (think it came off a 95), my old 94 is different from anything pictured.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry I'm a lot of trouble .
I got a lil mixed up on the year , it's a 94 2500 truck converted to diesel with a who knows what year engine . I didnt build it , but I'm the caretaker for it as it turns out . My son up and moved to Colorado . It's here and he's not , so I work on it a little and drive it to Depo to keep her oiled up and the stupid inboard front rotors in good shape. So I am no expert on it .
I've owned an 01 and 05 cummins , he has owned the 94 , an 01 , 04.5 and his current 06.
So yeah I might get corn fused , especially on a truck I didn't build .

·
On call 24/7
12,378 Posts
Sure he didn’t out 5k gsk?

·
Premium Member
1,942 Posts
I believe the 215 pumps had 2 springs. The 180 I got to replace my leaky 215 only had 1. I installed both at first and noticed a very difficult to press pedal. Removed one and it’s been smooth sailing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,673 Posts
I believe the 215 pumps had 2 springs. The 180 I got to replace my leaky 215 only had 1. I installed both at first and noticed a very difficult to press pedal. Removed one and it’s been smooth sailing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My 97 has 2 springs just like pictured above. One is bigger than the other, something to do with the Jacobs exhaust brake or something i forget.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Truck has 4 k gov springs , giant DVs and duel disk ect ect , throttle is ignorant touchy
I'm in the same boat.
I have a '94 (was in front of an auto) and have replaced the return spring with an OE
several times and still have the same trouble. Couple of years back when mrs. fish drove it,
she got to the end of the street and parked it.

I always figured it got jumpy because I had BD turn the pump up when I had the truck built.
I've gotten used to it. mrs. fish would just rather walk.

·
Registered
17,096 Posts
One is bigger than the other, something to do with the Jacobs exhaust brake or something i forget.
Exactly correct. The Jacobs kit came with a beefier spring for the later model p-pumps and IIRC an add on spring for the earlier model pumps. I'd like to see the spring set up you have on the old '94. I hate giving out false information.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm in the same boat.
I have a '94 (was in front of an auto) and have replaced the return spring with an OE
several times and still have the same trouble. Couple of years back when mrs. fish drove it,
she got to the end of the street and parked it.

I always figured it got jumpy because I had BD turn the pump up when I had the truck built.
I've gotten used to it. mrs. fish would just rather walk.
Ohh yeah she does the bucking boot scoot boogey at times . Nothing one can do besides push the clutch in ,,, and start over .

·
Registered
17,096 Posts
I'm in the same boat.
several times and still have the same trouble.

Ohh yeah she does the bucking boot scoot boogey at times . Nothing one can do besides push the clutch in ,,, and start over.
Have either of you consulted consulted Cummins Quickserve to verify the springs that should be on your linkage, i.e., the spring on the upper linkage bellcrank?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Ohh yeah she does the bucking boot scoot boogey at times . Nothing one can do besides push the clutch in ,,, and start over .
Yup. Or it does it when crossing through a bumpy intersection.
Get off the smoke pedal until it settles down a bit and try carrying on. :grin2:

And GAmes, I'd have to say no because I don't know what you're referring to.

·
Registered
17,096 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts