Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my buddie is looking at a 98.5 (not for me, im keeping my 12v :peelout
anyways its got a freshly rebuilt tranny w/ a new VB, lockup switch, 65k miles and it is DIRT cheep!
Would a light like that be talking about the lift pump or the VP? if its the LP it won't matter because first things first... FASS so that wouldn't be a problem.

·
I wanna go fast...
3,471 Posts
If it has a light, it is monitoring the lift pump. If the light is on, the pump is failing or has failed, and every second that it runs they are destroying the VP44. I would put a gauge on it to check the LP before you try to start it. Hope the VP is not gone already...

·
Registered
565 Posts
A FASS is not a guarantee that the VP is going to last forever, It's going to die eventually. :popcorn:

·
I wanna go fast...
3,471 Posts
A FASS is not a guarantee that the VP is going to last forever, It's going to die eventually. :popcorn:
Tec, I know what you are saying, but I think if the VP trucks were to have an Airdog or FASS from the factory, they would last well into the 400,000 mile range. The problem with the stock lift pump is the pressure drops, and there is not enough fuel to go through the bypass and cool it down. With a good pressure and flow, plus the benefits of my Airdog,(air filtration) I think this will be the last VP I ever put on my truck.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Tec, I know what you are saying, but I think if the VP trucks were to have an Airdog or FASS from the factory, they would last well into the 400,000 mile range. The problem with the stock lift pump is the pressure drops, and there is not enough fuel to go through the bypass and cool it down. With a good pressure and flow, plus the benefits of my Airdog,(air filtration) I think this will be the last VP I ever put on my truck.
No doubt,

I just did not want plvaulter06, to expect a Fass or Airdog to make a used truck bullet broof :thumbsup

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok well, i think its still going to be worth it, its a super good deal, the guy is basically giving it away, less than 5k!!!!!!!!!! So, worst case, put on an air dog and a drop a new VP-44 and it's going to be good to go right??

OK another question: its a quad cab, or whatever they call it in that year, duelly, auto, 4.10 gears, 4x4 so the worst possible combo for milage! :( So i was thinking with a muffler/cat delete, BHAF, blocked wastegate, dynomite stage 1's, and edge milage max (or whatever box is good for milage). How good of fuel economy do you guys think is possible with that combo

·
Registered
565 Posts
Ok well, i think its still going to be worth it, its a super good deal, the guy is basically giving it away, less than 5k!!!!!!!!!! So, worst case, put on an air dog and a drop a new VP-44 and it's going to be good to go right??

OK another question: its a quad cab, or whatever they call it in that year, duelly, auto, 4.10 gears, 4x4 so the worst possible combo for milage! :( So i was thinking with a muffler/cat delete, BHAF, blocked wastegate, dynomite stage 1's, and edge milage max (or whatever box is good for milage). How good of fuel economy do you guys think is possible with that combo

I've got pretty much the same setup, best I've seen from mine is 17.5 before the Airdog. Hoping for 18+ with the new pump?

·
Registered
370 Posts
similar truck to the one in my sig, 'cept gear ratio... im gettin just under 19 combined city and hiway as of last fill up 5/27. id say he should buy it before someone else does, but thats just me....

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts

Check my BOMB's...
BOMB's

I'm getting 21.7 to 23.3 MPG currently with above BOMB's on my truck... :w:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts