Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Towing my jeep (about 5.5k lbs with the trailer) to Rausch Creek this weekend I noticed the truck sucking a whole helluva lot more fuel than usual. I'm talking 8-9mpg. I also noticed 1100* or so EGTs on hills. FWIW, I tow on lvl 2 or 3 usually. Never have I had EGTs over 1000 towing to Rausch. I was on 2 to begin with, when I noticed the EGTs I dropped it to lvl 1. This helped some but I was still over 1000.

I also noticed on the way home, when I got stuck in traffic, the truck almost sounded like it was misfiring. If I lugged it into 3rd and 4th slighty it sounded like a jake brake. Cool and all, it's not normal.

Any idea whats wrong? There were no CELs. Boosts fine, 20-25 psi peak on the hills. Fuel pressure was maybe a little higher than usual, but I just put a new lift pump in.

I'm at a loss. Kinda thinking it's a clogged/toasted injector. I don't know how that would over fuel though.

Today I decided to try unplugging the Edge box to see if it was the problem. No change, but a CEL came on. I will run the codes when I get a chance.

Am I right to assume it's an injector issue? I don't mind upgrading, but I want to be sure it will cure my issues.

I need to move to Illinois in two weeks. I'd like to have this fixed before that. :w:

·
Registered
2 Posts
bad bad things

sounds injectorish - crack one fuel line at a time to see which hole(s) is the prob. Then pull the inj. and see if you see anything wrong (missing tip). And if your oil level is over full you may have one dribbling. Just watch it closely, over fueling can do some bad bad things - :$: -good luck

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks. I'll try and check that out soon. I don't have any tools up here at school so i'm kind of limited.

Someone braught up a good point about the APPS being out of adjustment. I'm also going to try and check that out.

·
Registered
689 Posts
kind of almost sounds like lift pump might be going out...mine started cutting out aorund 2000rpms when my lift pump went out (before i had a fuel pressure gauge).

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
Another good diagnostic for this type of issue is an infrared temp gun. You can get the temp of the exhaust at each port to see if one is cool.

High EGT's, low MPG's and 20 PSI of boost, assuming you have stock injectors, makes me wonder about the MAP sensor. Is the smoke level normal?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another good diagnostic for this type of issue is an infrared temp gun. You can get the temp of the exhaust at each port to see if one is cool.

High EGT's, low MPG's and 20 PSI of boost, assuming you have stock injectors, makes me wonder about the MAP sensor. Is the smoke level normal?
No, smoke is excessive. Would the MAP sensor cause an odd sound? Seems like maybe and overfueling issue would though.

It's very rythmic so i'm thinking it's concentrated in one cylinder, which is also why I thought it was an injector.

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
Since you have a code, that would be a good first place to start. It may just be a MAP sensor and you're dumping way too much fuel in. That explains all the symptoms but the sound, which is hard to diagnose on a forum.

Here's some other ideas to rule some things out:

- If you have an infrared temp gun, you could get the temps on each exhaust port and see if you have a cold one.

- I would check to make sure you don't have a crankcase full of fuel.

- Pull the dipstick when it is running and see if you are getting a lot of blowby.

- Check the coolant and see if is contaminated with oil.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, with my limited amount of tools I just went out to check some stuff.

I was able to crack 5 out of 6 injectors. Every time the motor bogged some, so that means the injectors are fine there. I need to get a 19mm wrench to crack the #2 line. It's too close to the intake horn for my 3/4".

I also unplugged the edge from the MAP and plugged the stock harness in. No difference. I tried to run the codes with the key trick and it didn't work. I guess the older trucks it doesnt work.

How do I tell if there's fuel in the crankcase with the dipstick? Is it obvious? It looked like it always does when I checked it, just oily.

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
I'd love for someone to prove me wrong but it there is no key trick to read the codes on a 98.5.

With the dipstick. The crankcase fuller than the last time you changed/added oil is a good indication of fuel in the oil.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea I feel ya. I just ran over to autozone and had them run the codes. P0216 was the one that matters....

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
Ouch.

I had dead batteries throw a P0216 last winter. I replaced the batteries and cleared the code. It has not returned. I was lucky (for a change). It does not sound good for you. Tell us how it comes out.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Any ideas on how to clear the codes without a scanner? Autozone said they couldn't clear them. I assume unhooking the batts and turning the key to on to drain the system, then letting it sit for a while and reconnecting them would work.

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
Besides level, you can also tell if you have oil in the crankcase by putting a drop on a clean paper towel. If you get a wet ring around the drip real quickly, it is fuel in the oil.

Sounds like a moot point now with the code..

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think the code is still there from when I replaced the pump in november.

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
You mentioned replaceing the lift pump, or, have you also replaced the injection pump?

The 216 code is the death code for the VP44. It is a timing failure. Normally, comes on the heels of running the truck with low or no lift pump fuel pressure.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yep. Sorry. The VP got replaced in november with a unit from Midwest Fuel injection. It's under warrenty so i'm not that worried about replacing it. I'd rather be sure it's the issue before sending it to them for a replacement.

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
I think it takes a scanner or a reflash to clear codes. My Superchips programmer will clear codes. It behaves a little flakily doing it but it works. It is VIN locked to my truck for prgramming but not for scanning. I have a cheap scanner from Harbor Freight that works on my wife's Isuzu but I have never hooked it to one of my Rams.

You are right. It would be a shame to send the pump off just to find out that it was something else (sensor, etc.)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Agreed. I hate to just throw parts at it but I think I might order injectors, toss them in, and see what happens.

I've been wanting a set of RV275s for a while now. At the very least it'll narrow the problem to the warrentyable VP44.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, I got my hands on a temp gun and got some readings off the exhaust manifold. The #1 cyl was at 175-180* and the rest were at 220-230*.

Am I correct in assuming that the #1 cyl injector is stuck closed? How would that cause excess smoke...?

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
My only experience with a stuck injector was one stuck open on a Gehl skid steer. The symptoms were that it idled normally but knocked and puffed white smoke at higher power settings. I took that injector apart, cleaned it, put it back together, and all was fine again. An injector stuck open will start injecting the fuel early and at high power settings will inject too much fuel. I have not heard your engine but it seems like an injector stuck open could give you the symptoms you are having. I suppose a damaged nozzle could as well. My line of thinking does not exclude a VP44 problem but cleaning/replacing an injector would be much cheaper and easier to do. I hate to mention it but it is possible that an injector is stuck open because trash coming through the VP44 (like metal filings from a mechanically failing VP44). I would be inclined to play with the injector first. If you swapped injectors with another cylinder and the cold exhaust port moves with the injector you would know it was the injector. If the cold cylinder does follow the injector then it is either the VP44 or a compression problem. With the right gauges you can check the compression in all cylinders through the injector ports (injectors removed).

1 - 20 of 29 Posts