Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, guys its been awhile sent I have been on the site. I sold my 03 2500 cummins due to a vibration that the dealer could not fix. That has been 4 years ago. I'm now looking at a 98.5 to 02 cummins. Is there a difference in the 4x4 unit on the 02 vs the earlier ones? I was told the fuel mileage on the earlier ones gets better mileage due to this. Trying to find out some info on that. Thanks ahead of time.

·
Banned
8,204 Posts
i would stay away from the CAD axles. there is nothing wrong with them, but there are weak links as compared to the non CAD axles. Vac lines can fail, collars can break shift forks can break. not to mention the axle tube is two peices. i dont think the milage gains are going to be that noticable.

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
Pretty minor difference being I'm holding 21-22 MPG typical even hauling my trailer I get 13-14 MPG... I'm a solid front axle. So it might be worth .2 MPG for a CAD unit... :confused013:

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
i would stay away from the CAD axles. there is nothing wrong with them, but there are weak links as compared to the non CAD axles. Vac lines can fail, collars can break shift forks can break. not to mention the axle tube is two peices. i dont think the milage gains are going to be that noticable.
Judging by the absence of "My CAD axle just broke" threads, one could logically conclude that there is no disadvantage to it.

Also, I have read some threads about double cardan joints blowing the t-case apart; is this due to the non-CAD axle putting undue stress on the front driveshaft? I don't know, it's merely speculation.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
If you buy a cad truck and want to remove it you can buy a solid axle shaft for $300 ish. Vacuum leaks causing them not to engage is the biggest issue, I just slid the collar over on mine and put the shift fork behind it so its full-time now.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.