Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1998 24v and a 2002 24v. When they are both beside each other in my yard not plugged in when it is very cold out the 2002 will always start first try no problem but the 1998 will not. I have to cycle the glow plugs about 3 times on the 98 and crank on it for a while. Why is this ? Is their something different in the 2002's or is something wrong with my 98 ?

G

·
theres alot of variables to this. mileage, health, fuel, ecm, voltage, are just a few to name. one is 16 years old. one is 12 years old.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could it be the glow plugs ? The 98 has around 340,000k the 02 has around 850,000k. Both engine have never been opened up and run well. Always use fuel conditioner in both

·
Registered
13,340 Posts
You don't have glow plugs. You do have a grid heater. You should be able to hold you hand near the grid heater and feel heat coming off of it when the Wait to start light is on. you should also notice a drop in volts when the grids are cycling. From 14.x down to 11-12.

You might have one bad element

More white smoke when starting the 98 vs the 02? Do they both crank and the same speed or is the 98 slower?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd say the 2002 smokes a little more than the 98 when cold. They crank at about the same speed and have the same batteries. I will get it checked to see if an element is bad. I don't think it has anything to do with air getting in because it starts fine unless it is really cold like -25c or colder. But maybe I'm wrong ? Thanks for the ideas guys

·
Registered
879 Posts
Sometimes... just due to a lot of things... one starts better than the other. Some engines make more power than others. Some run smoother, some rougher. There are many things that it may potentially be. If you've got good fuel pressure, and the engine runs well, and the batteries are relatively new, and the grid heaters are working - I wouldn't worry about it.

Sometimes you just get an engine that's more cold natured than another.... manufacturing has changed some of that today - as tolerances are tighter and quality control better than ever, but, nonetheless...

Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about it, as long as the grid heaters are working on the '98.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I should also say that the 02 has a fass 150 in it and the 98 has the stock pump. Maybe that is my problem. I would like to get it to start as good as the 02 because I live in Alberta Canada and it's cold here quite a bit

·
Registered
13,340 Posts
whats cranking psi on both of them? When it is colder it may be harder for the stocker to push fuel since it is more dense. The stocker isn't pushing fuel compared to the fass

·
PA VICE PRESIDENT
4,650 Posts
Im betting its a grid heater or fuel problem.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Hard start causes could be air in the fuel, bad fuel, heater grid issues, or maybe even a failing injection pump or ecu (pretty much worst case).

If it were my truck, I would likely start by ordering a FASS and a fuel pressure gauge, even though it probably isn't your issue, just a good idea with these trucks.
Then I would go on to look at all your connections to make sure none let air in, make sure the fuel isn't gelled and the filter isn't clogged, maybe throw some 911 in the tank, and then check out the heater grid with an IR thermometer and multimeter. If you take off the intake horn for diagnosis, replace the gasket as it is probably already leaking (lol).

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Okay thanks guys. I'm gonna order a fass and an edge juice with attitude so I'll have all the gauges

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.