Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys/ gals. I'm an ASE Cert master tech but I'm not a diesel tech by trade , but I'm learning as I go. This is one of my employees vehicles and I'm the lucky guy who needs to fix it. Vehicle sat for a few months and he had it towed in. Initially I found and repaired a sticking cutoff solenoid and she fired up. After a minute or 2 she stalled out and would not restart. I took off the filter housing and found it dry. I read Joe G's fuel system write up (thanks for posting) and beleive I have a dead transfer pump. I have the inlet hose sitting in a bucket of diesel and after 5 minutes of prime/ pumping, still nothing out of the outlet line. I believe the transfer pump is the first problem I need to resolve. Called my Dodge dealer and they've told me it's been replaced with the electric in tank style (similar to my 05). Anybody have any input or further testing I should do before I break the bad news to my employee. BTW Dodge says the electric pump isn't availvable until Jan 1, 2010. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am pretty sure Dodge is wrong. If it is a 12 v it should be mechanical and you will find it under the fuel filter on the block behind as part of the primer plunger

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Man I would like to think they are wrong and possible thinking of the 98 1/2 . I looked one up at genos garage and its a delphi pump and its only $88 follow the link
REPLACEMENT FUEL TRANSFER PUMP ('94-'98) DODGE-Dodge Cummins Diesel Truck Accessories – Geno’s Garage
All I can say is thank you for that link. :yourock:. I asked the parts guy 3 times if this was for the 12V and he was 100% positive!! This is why I love this place. Is there anything else I could be missing before I replace this? Priming alone should have pumped fuel up there within 10+ pumps right?

·
Not enough $$$
286 Posts
did you turn the truck over while checking to see if fuel would come out being a mechanical pump. I know this sounds like a stupid question, but are you sure there is fuel in the truck? could someone have siphoned the fuel out while sitting.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
did you turn the truck over while checking to see if fuel would come out being a mechanical pump. I know this sounds like a stupid question, but are you sure there is fuel in the truck? could someone have siphoned the fuel out while sitting.
Thanks for the reply. If you read my initial (long) explanation of the problem, you'll see that when testing we dropped a hose in a fresh bucket of diesel. No fuel output from transfer pump during push button priming or engine cranking. Sorry if I didn't explain that clear enough. I just ordered the pump (along with a few other goodies for my truck) from Genos Garage. Great customer service, pump will be to me in Mass. tomorrow. Thanks again for taking the time to reply!!

·
Not enough $$$
286 Posts
No problem man. Glad I could be of some help. I should have read your first post more carefully. Its been one of those days... about time to cap it off with a bud light and some wings

·
Premium Member
16,203 Posts
Priming alone should have pumped fuel up there within 10+ pumps right?
More like 75-100 pumps.
If you didn't get any fuel pumping with the engine cranking the lift pump is definitely toast.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts