Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought this truck and it has an oil leak on the drivers side looks to be above the motor mount.It looks dry up by the tappet cover can't see above motor mount.What can be leaking in that area????????????

·
Registered
607 Posts
most likely tappet cover bud

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can see the tappet cover it looks to be dry.I'll take another look tomorrow but I'm pretty sure the whole cover is dry.Anthing below that ????

·
Registered
607 Posts
oil line to injection pump and vacuum pump can go bad. lift pump gaskets. not much else. the tappet cover isn't a bad fix some people say its worse than it is, plus you get to bump the timing on the pump and the piece of mind you know were it's set at... have you done your kdp?? ad that to your list that day?? one other thing is make sure its oil ya know the power steering lines are down by the engine mounts aswell...

·
Registered
38 Posts
i bet money its power steering lines those stupid things are always leaking.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
You have been helping me out alot here lately.The fuel shut off selonoid I brazed togather where it came apart now it works great The truck had a new head gasket , springs in p pump ,kdp done.However I see a leak coming out of the passenger side at the rear of the head it's anti freeze!
The guy I bought it from said they straight edged the head and it was good.??
Do these heads need to be retoqued or did they not do it right?
Looks like I didn't get such a good deal after all.

·
Registered
607 Posts
head studs need retorqued head bolts do not.. is it pushing antifreeze the antifreeze has already found its path and the gasket should be replaced... could you add the 97 to your sig for us aswell.. if the tappet gasket looks hard what so ever its most likely cracked and dry rotted. the head was off and it didn't get surfaced? i would pull it down (head off) new gasket according to how much machine shop takes off head ( i can help you with part numbers) get the head checked for cracks aswell at machine shop first... i would also check to see if the kdp was actually done, if the head gasket is already chit. i just had to do gear housing on mine because the guy i bought it from said he had it done. he lied. i can see the head not being flat and need resurfaced. the block is most likely ok unless the other guy got it hot when the head gasket went before. check the block with a good, really good strait edge and feeler gauges

·
Registered
17,331 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.