Cummins Diesel Forum banner

97 axle swap to 2002 axles??? questions

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  sledwrecker 
#1 ·
OK so pretty simple just looking for some small tech questions. Axles bolt right in I know this but what about rear proportion valve and break master cylinder?? I've read threads where guys leave both and just swap the axles but I wana do it right so give me some suggestions guys. I'm hoping my breaking will be better due to the new axles being twin piston and gaining disk in the rear. I just don't wana do the swap and have a soft petal due to my master being for drum and or drive down the street and have my rear breaks lock up when I go to stop. Thanks guys!!!! :party018:

#4 ·
Ok see this is the info I'm looking for. I think I'm gonna just call the guy I bought the axles from and get the master and rear proportion valve. I don't wana have some stupid break problems. Wouldn't having more be better? Or when u hit the breaks it's sending too much to the back for the disks to work properly? I mean if u have a proportion valve in the back it shouldn't matter but Im going from front single piston to double piston so not sure if they made changes in the master to accommodate the twin piston and disk rear... Any info from anyone who knows plz chime in.

#5 ·
I did the exact same swap with my 98 and i just deleted the prop. Valve and never changed anything else. They work perfect. I did have to get a little creative on the front brakelines i remember but i dont recall what the issue was. Also have to drill out the control arm mounts as the 02 used a bigger bolt, no biggie there though. I also opted to keep my T steering from my 98 instead of the pos Y style.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.