Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to me 97 ram 2500 with 250k miles. I ripped it all apart and I wanted advice on the KDP. It appears it hasn't moved. I will install the blocker but I wanted to make sure it's even in there? Looks weird but I think it is? Please see pics and advise, thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,291 Posts
If it is, I don’t know how it’s pushed in that far. I can’t tell in the pictures, but can you see where the case ends and the block starts through the hole? If you can, there’s no pin. You can find a kit with the pin. It’s necessary, or the case will shift over time as the bolts attaching the case to the block are only torqued to 18ft-lbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I'm trying to figure out. I have a pin in the kit I have but I don't know if there is one in there or not lol. It possibly wiggled out without destroying everything, I'm not sure. If so maybe the case shifted. What should the depth there be with no pin?

The bolts attaching the case are behind the gears? I only see one from the front.

·
On call 24/7
12,594 Posts
There is no pin in that hole. Put the new one in and cover it. Use lock tight on the case bolts.

Reactions: krs

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don’t see any boundary as if the case has shifted. I can’t tell!

how do you access all the case bolts ? Have to pull the gears ?

·
Registered
17,825 Posts
There are five bolts. No, you don't pull any gears. The ones that can't fully remove you just back them out as far as possible, spray some brake cleaner on them, a drop or two of loc-tite and tighten them back up. If you can tap the pin into it's hole the case hasn't moved.

·
Registered
17,825 Posts
I looked at the pictures again and now I'm wondering. The second picture shows a pin sticking out and the top picture shows a recess. What's up with that? The case is nearly 1/4 inch thick where the pin goes in. How deep is the recess in the first picture?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I didn’t see any bolts or Isn’t obvious. Do you have to rotate gears?

I can look that up but trying to see. How far should pin go into case? This is all very strange.
Thx.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The pictures are the same lol that’s the mystery just different lighting and angle. If the pin is in will it be recessed way back like that? Or is it out and case shifted and your seeing back of block. That’s what I’m trying to determine.

·
Registered
17,825 Posts
Yup, an optical illusion. Did you measure the depth. As Stox pointed out it isn't normal to be recessed as far as the picture appears, the hole in the block isn't that deep. Even if the case has shifted slightly it can't move far enough to block the hole.

·
Premium Member
4,852 Posts
Yup, an optical illusion. Did you measure the depth. As Stox pointed out it isn't normal to be recessed as far as the picture appears, the hole in the block isn't that deep. Even if the case has shifted slightly it can't move far enough to block the hole.
It looks like the updated cover. My 98 had the updated cover.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ohhh, perhaps the updated cover has
More material there making it deeper? I know some of the blocking plates had an angle to them. My plate is flat probably won’t work then.
Assuming want to torque the bolt there against the surface not just against the plate. That could get loose. Like if plate is hovering out away from the base metal of bolt below plate ya know.

·
Registered
17,825 Posts

·
Registered
17,825 Posts
Do you have a data plate affixed to the side? '97s didn't come with the type in your picture.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, there is a silver data plate mentioning emissions, glued on ghetto like with silicone, lol.

Ok results of investigation:

.207 depth. Me and my dad think there is a PIN in there. Our theory is they used newer cover design with old dowl pin. Causing it to appear recessed like that? Does that sound plausible

Another thing, see link above. This is what I ordered for the KDP retainer. I guess I need the shouldered version correct. I ordered straight because you're right they weren't supposed to use this timing cover on this truck. Hell maybe it already happened and they replaced cover. I don't know it's history. I do know it's a newer cover, right? So I need something like this:

I want a good quality one though not chinese junk metal that will fail and destroy my engine. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
17,825 Posts
Yes, there is a silver data plate mentioning emissions, glued on ghetto like with silicone, lol.

Me and my dad think there is a PIN in there. Our theory is they used newer cover design with old dowl pin. Causing it to appear recessed like that? Does that sound plausible
Not only plausible, it is likely. The new style is made to retain the dowel pin, no tab required. The data plates (there are two) were riveted on. Did the PO attach the one with build date, timing data, HP, and most importantly the engine serial number? BTW, a piece of an aluminum coke or beer can will work as well as any tab you can buy.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I guess I need to nail down which type I have and if I need any retainer then :). You’re right!! There is another plate that was 100% covered in oil / dirt filth. See images below. So you’re saying I don’t need one?

1 - 20 of 78 Posts