Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I'm new on this forum and I'm thinking about getting a 96 reg. cab dually. I have a 6.4 and I wanted an older truck to beat around in and ride on the farm. I was wondering what you could do to fix them up

· Registered
25 Posts
I love mine... before i bought my truck i did a TON of research on cummins and dodge trucks in general. What I found about 12v vs 24v was both are amazing motors but if you like adjusting everything yourself then go with a 12v. I like the fact everything is mechanically controlled, no fuel maps or computer nonsense... like a muscle cars with a carb... you put the time, you build it and you tune. I have alot more respect for the guys who don't just fork out money and take it to a shop... If you love your truck and proud of it, I think you should know more than what the pedals do and how the radio works. I still have a lot of learning left to do but it sounds like the guys in this forum know what they're talking about and are willing to help. But... that just me talking

· Registered
444 Posts
12 Valve is one of the most sought after Cummins around. They were orginally made for the use of farming rigs I know Case and many other companies put the 12 valve in their construction equipment. If its made for farms you know its good....

If you give a 12 valve fuel, and 12 volts it will start. If it doesn't.... somethings wrong....

These motors are great they have their KDP issue but its not bad to do.... They are awesome motors.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know a whole lot more about a Powerstroke than I do a Cummins. I love the sound of a 12v. I'd like to get it running better than the 6.4 but I'd say that would cost a pretty penny.

4,256 Posts
CAT makes the best diesel engine out there, BUT, i love my 12v more than i love...................well alot of things, definatly one of the greatest motors ever made. extremly strong bottom end, the p7100 pump is a beast, trucks come with a dana 60 up front and a dana 70(auto) or 80(manuel). they have a few issues but like stated above, 12 volts(which you only need to start it) and fuel, i've seen 12v's with 800,000+ miles without a major rebuild, and i think there are a few people on this site that claim over a million miles.............i thought the original 12v from the 40's was the 6A, and it was engineered to run a 60,000lb crane:confused013:dont take my word on that, it just comes to memory that way.

· Premium Member
12,495 Posts
The 5.9 12 valve was a joint engineering venture between Cummins and Case for export agricultural equipment.
It was designed for long life with the poor maintenance and fuel quality often found in third world countries.
Putting one in a pickup truck is almost an overkill, the engine will easily outlast the rest of the truck.

· Registered
1,830 Posts
Once you drive a 12v youll sell the powerjoke and upgrade the cummins. You can get good hp/tq for pretty cheap on a 12v the downfall like all diesels are weak auto trannies but can be built to handle anything. My 96 is auto and 180hp/425ish tq and out pulls my bosses 01-02 7.3's, its a little slow but way better than a powerjoke anyday

· Registered
312 Posts
Once you drive a 12v youll sell the powerjoke and upgrade the cummins. You can get good hp/tq for pretty cheap on a 12v the downfall like all diesels are weak auto trannies but can be built to handle anything. My 96 is auto and 180hp/425ish tq and out pulls my bosses 01-02 7.3's, its a little slow but way better than a powerjoke anyday
No you wont those 6.4 are running 12 second 1/4 miles with a DPF delete and a tuner heres one of many examples to educate yourself

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBhKSCNacuA

Lets be realistic 12 valves are a great, reliable, cheap to mod engine. The 6.4 on the other hand turns 600hp on stock injectors turbo, best of all the transmission in these things laughs at brake boosted 4x4 launches.

This engine and trans combo (along with the fact that Ford refused any govt money has got me very interested in the 6.4).

To the OP its gonna be a dog stock GSK and a fuel plate will wake it up a little, but a lock up torque convertor will make it feel like youve chipped it.

· Registered
444 Posts
No you wont those 6.4 are running 12 second 1/4 miles with a DPF delete and a tuner heres one of many examples to educate yourself

Lets be realistic 12 valves are a great, reliable, cheap to mod engine. The 6.4 on the other hand turns 600hp on stock injectors turbo, best of all the transmission in these things laughs at brake boosted 4x4 launches.

This engine and trans combo (along with the fact that Ford refused any govt money has got me very interested in the 6.4).

To the OP its gonna be a dog stock GSK and a fuel plate will wake it up a little, but a lock up torque convertor will make it feel like youve chipped it.
Yeah but some people don't have 40,000 to spend on a new Powerjoke... If I had 40,000 dollars to blow on my cummins it would literally be the fastest cummins out there.:thumbsup:

4,256 Posts

man you cant be serious.........i was fillin up the other day and this guy pulls up in a brand new 6.4, so bein fellow diesel freaks we start talkin............THE TRUCK HAD 10,000 miles on it and had gone through 3 SETS OF INJECTORS. Ford bein the awesome company they are took care of him ofcourse. but still, changin injectors when i change my oil. i dont think so. finally, my 12valve will be pullin trailers, pull fords out of the mud, drivin me across the country LONGGGGGGGGGGGGGG after that POS is dead and gone. there is a reason ford is introducing the Ford Built 6.7(which will be a bada$$ motor) after the Navistar 6.0 disaster, closely followed by the Navistar 6.4 disaster. As far as the tranny goes, your 100% right, fords automatics have always been on top of things. plus i know the bottom end on my 12 valve will hold 500hp easy for its long long life, i seriously doubt any Navistar engine found in the Ford's will put up with the power over the long haul. Long live the cummins.:buttkick:

· Registered
312 Posts
Yeah but some people don't have 40,000 to spend on a new Powerjoke... If I had 40,000 dollars to blow on my cummins it would literally be the fastest cummins out there.:thumbsup:
So $40,000 is all it takes to have the fastest cummins ever?

· Registered
312 Posts
man you cant be serious.........i was fillin up the other day and this guy pulls up in a brand new 6.4, so bein fellow diesel freaks we start talkin............THE TRUCK HAD 10,000 miles on it and had gone through 3 SETS OF INJECTORS. Ford bein the awesome company they are took care of him ofcourse. but still, changin injectors when i change my oil. i dont think so. finally, my 12valve will be pullin trailers, pull fords out of the mud, drivin me across the country LONGGGGGGGGGGGGGG after that POS is dead and gone. there is a reason ford is introducing the Ford Built 6.7(which will be a bada$$ motor) after the Navistar 6.0 disaster, closely followed by the Navistar 6.4 disaster. As far as the tranny goes, your 100% right, fords automatics have always been on top of things. plus i know the bottom end on my 12 valve will hold 500hp easy for its long long life, i seriously doubt any Navistar engine found in the Ford's will put up with the power over the long haul. Long live the cummins.:buttkick:
Ive got news for you a 12 valve is a good motor Ive had one for some time now but they are not makin them anymore. 55 Chevys are great cars too but just arent made anymore. The guy you talked to needs to stop running Biodiesel and you need to stop talking to random dudes at the gas station LOL.
Just kidding

Besides its a new truck with a warranty and it runs 12s with a tune!!! Not 12 valves,..... 12 seconds 1/4 in a 10,0000 pound diesel truck.:drool2:

Guys who like guns are gun enthusiast they like all kinds of guns, but diesel enthusiast treat brand loyalty like its a life or death situation. I like em all, looking forward to trying out a D-Max too.

4,256 Posts
Ive got news for you a 12 valve is a good motor Ive had one for some time now but they are not makin them anymore. 55 Chevys are great cars too but just arent made anymore. The guy you talked to needs to stop running Biodiesel and you need to stop talking to random dudes at the gas station LOL.
Just kidding

Besides its a new truck with a warranty and it runs 12s with a tune!!! Not 12 valves,..... 12 seconds 1/4 in a 10,0000 pound diesel truck.:drool2:

Guys who like guns are gun enthusiast they like all kinds of guns, but diesel enthusiast treat brand loyalty like its a life or death situation. I like em all, looking forward to trying out a D-Max too.

hahaha, truth be told im a diehard ford guy. first truck was a 56' f-100 with a 390 hp 289:drool2:. haha and ya ill be safer at the pump. he might have tried to take my 12 valve out of jealousy. but seriously man ima shoot strait with ya. i think they still make a 12 valve(not sure:confused013:), but the only reason they dont run em' in our goats is emissions, ya we get 18-20, but the NOx levels are off the charts. thats the reason the vp-44 came along, thats the reason common rail came along. im stickin to my ol truck here, i trust it a whole lot more than i trust all these new computer controlled power monsters. Now to be fair here, you aint kiddin, these things come out the damn box BAD TO THE BONE, and its absolutly insane to run under 14 without a ton of money, 12 sec. just flat unreal. so givin credit where its due, i completly agree with ya. but that warranty is gonna end one day. ill keep the 12v, shes my baby. o and im not tryin to come off angry here, i just really like to argue back and fourth, great way to learn:thumbsup:

· Registered
312 Posts
Very well written, I couldn't agree more.
damnit I love a good debate too ha, ha!!!

· Registered
41 Posts
And ford will be going under before any of the ones who took goverment money. Ford didn't need it because they had just recently take a bunch of money from investors. When it comes time to pay em back it will be to the tune of bankruptcy.

· Registered
312 Posts
And ford will be going under before any of the ones who took goverment money. Ford didn't need it because they had just recently take a bunch of money from investors. When it comes time to pay em back it will be to the tune of bankruptcy.

Funny you should mention that I have stock in Ford and they didnt ask me for any $, but my stock has tripled since it was purchased for me as a gift in in 2008.
So would you rather borrow some cash from friends (investors) or go on government welfare??

· Registered
312 Posts
CAT, is highly over-rated....

You might be right I dont have a lot of experience with them but all of the CAT diesels I saw used that same awful HEUI injection that International used to use before switching to CR. I think the catchy logo just fits nicely on a hat.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.