Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1996 3500. The other day I was letting it warm up and it ran out of fuel. I put some more fuel in it and still can't get it started. I get fuel at the bango nut. However, I don't have any fuel at the return line on the other side of the injector pump. Or at any injectors. Any ideas on how to possible test to see if the injector pump went bad?

·
Registered
80 Posts
crack the injector lines and bleed the air out should fire right up

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Crack the 1st 3 lines at the injectors, not at the pump.

·
Registered
720 Posts
you shouldnt have to crack any lines ther is a little yellow leaver on the bottom of your fuel filter push it open till diesel poors out and then try it you may have to prime it like that a few times.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
That does not bleed anything after the fuel filter. You can indeed grow old and die waiting for air to get purged out of injector lines. If there's enough air in them the injection pump can't develop enough fuel pressure in the lines to reach the opening pressure of the injectors because the air in the lines compresses. If there's air in the lines, your method will result in a moldering skeleton propped up against a truck with dead batteries and a perfectly filled fuel filter canister.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I cracked the the 1st and 3rd injector line at the injectors and cranked it several times but it didn't even get wet around the threads which tells me no fuel at all is coming out. I even cracked one of the lines right above the injector pump to see if i was getting any fuel there and nothing. Is there anything else I can do. The truck did sit for almost 2 years. I have just started to go about getting all the problems fixed with it and in the process of getting ready to bring some more life back to her. But can't do anything else till I get her started. Is there anyway to test to make sure the injector pump didn't go bad?

·
Premium Member
16,203 Posts
Do you get fuel by cracking open the injection pump overflow valve while hand pumping or cranking?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Yes, check the overflow valve outlet.

Strange that you have fuel going into the pump but not out. The FSM in describing how to install a p7100 has no bleeding or filling procedure. You just crank it over. When I replaced my faulty IP, I got fuel to the filter with the primer button, then with fully charged batteries and a 200 amp start charge I turned it over for about 20 seconds in 3 intervals. Fired, chugged, smoothed out.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
When you loosen the injector lines, do it at the injector end like I mentioned. When cranking, hold the accelerator pedal to the floor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts