Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:banghead: Ok so I have a 1996 dodge ram 3500 12 valve, it was an automatic but had the motor and trans swapped to a 5 speed... when I bought the truck the guy showed me that when you start it you have to turn the key like normal for the "wait to start" light to come on and go off, then you can crank it over but once the engine fires up you have to turn it back 1 click or else the starter will not stop spinning. so I did just as he said and everything was working fine, the motor would crank and then once it fired up I turned the key back 1 click and the starter would stop spinning and the truck would run fine... but now the other night I fired it up as normal but once the truck started and I turned the key back 1 notch the whole truck shut off instead of just the starter, so now I cant get the truck to stay running without the starter spinning. I had to drive it home 5 miles with the starter still spinning and then once I got home and was trying to mess around with it some and now my "wait to start" light now will not come on at all.... can anyone tell me what happened and how it can be fixed.... please help I cant drive it or else the starter will just fry itself...

·
Registered
397 Posts
Sounds like the fuse for the FSS hold circuit is blown. Should be #9 fuse box by drivers door. This is assuming it is wired like factory model. What is happening is the pull circuit works to start but once you release the key from start the hold circuit for the FSS does not work. So, the fuel is shut off.

For emergency purposes you can tie the FSS on with a rope to get you around. I had to do this one time when I had a problem. Check the electrics for that hold circuit.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
If the ignition switch isn't automatically turning back from 'start' to 'on' (on my truck, and every other vehicle I've ever owned, 'start' is only a momentary setting, you _can't_ leave it on...), perhaps the ignition switch itself needs to be replaced?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.