Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm about to start this project. I'm in the process now of rebuilding the engine (96 6BT), then it's getting a nine speed roadranger ( RT-6609A - 380 LBS)and going into the 80 F350.

Question#1: How do I do away with the shut off silenoid? I want to replace it with a pull cable.

Question#2: Do I need any wires other than to the starter to make the engine do it's thing? I plan on all mechanical gauges ( maybe electronic tach).

Question#3: Do I need the intake heater ( southern Mississippi)? If so, how to wire it?

Question#4: Fuel heater?

·
Registered
963 Posts
You really want to leave on the shut-down solenoid, wire it in with two Mag switches one is run wire the other is the pull in wire. The hold in comes of the Ignition and is the red wire on the solenoid terminal "A" in the weatherpack port. Pull-in is the white wire port "B" and is wired with starter engage solenoid. The ground wire is port "C" and is a black wire. The grid heater you need a Mag switch is controlled buy the ECM, and I don't remember which wire, hopefully the downer vehicle has it wired in and you just transfer it. PLAY SAFE!

·
Premium Member
2,347 Posts
I would say no to the intake heater. I live in South Jersey and I only use the ribbon heater when I get blow 30* and I have a 4cyl cummins. The 6cyl starts even better in the cold so I say that you will be fine.

Just take the sileniod off and make a braket to hold the cable, run it up into to the cab. Make sure you mount it pretty rugged. But I agree with jpringle with just leaving it, not that hard to wire.

You asolutely don't need a fuel heater, your in mississippi, usually don't gel until it gets below 0, they have additive that work fine.

Also I agree play it safe. If you think that you would be better off with it use it. That cummins is one of the smiplest engines that you will ever come across, not hard to make that run.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Shut down solenoid

You really want to leave on the shut-down solenoid, wire it in with two Mag switches one is run wire the other is the pull in wire. The hold in comes of the Ignition and is the red wire on the solenoid terminal "A" in the weatherpack port. Pull-in is the white wire port "B" and is wired with starter engage solenoid. The ground wire is port "C" and is a black wire. The grid heater you need a Mag switch is controlled buy the ECM, and I don't remember which wire, hopefully the downer vehicle has it wired in and you just transfer it. PLAY SAFE!
Ok, I agree that the wiring sounds pretty simple on that shut-down solenoid and I do have one, but If I didn't or it went out, they are a lot more pricey than a pull cable. I would like to keep things simple and mechanical as much as possible. Is there a specific reason why I should leave it on? I really appreciate your input.

·
Registered
258 Posts
The main reason I can think of is in case of emergency. Most peoples first reaction when they get into a bad situation is to hit the key to kill the truck. If you have to fumble around to try to shut it off with a cable, it could be too late._Nicholas

·
Registered
963 Posts
The solenoid is a solid and full on a cable can be just off a bit and it will effect performance and starting. the mag switches are not that much, Call a Freightliner dealer that is what they use, and if you walk around the used truck lot you should find an FL60 with your engine in it and you can find the wiring for the grid heater, PLAY SAFE!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts