Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
working on one that has about 220 000 on it and idk what has been done to it. stock or services?. but its kicking in and out of lock up? maybe overdrive. where do i start?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
alright. i just drove it and its kicking out of lockup at about 65. somtimes it will take a while somtimes it will kick in and out back to back. if you hammer on it good it will stay locked in. any ideas?

·
Registered
736 Posts
i would start with the TPS, they can give ya all types of grief and is a known problem with em. I am not saying this is it, but rule out the easy stuff first. search around for adjustment procedure and it just might fix ya up. there is also a way to clean em i guess, i didnt try it with mine i just bought a new one.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
would putting in a lock up switch bypass/solve this problem? do you just ground out the orange and black wire out with a switch to do this?

·
Registered
736 Posts
it should keep it in l/u. if not it will show ya that you got other cats to skin.might be a temp sender,solenoid, or a brake switch. I had mine doing about the same thing and it turned out to be the trans temp sender pigtail. went into od but would not lock up at all.guess the pcm can read how hot the trans is and decide if ya get od or lu but don't quote me on that lol, never delved into it too much.tightened up the connection and it worked great, broke a input shortly after but that was my fault plain and simple. installed the tps with the new trans just cause.
Edit; oops read that a lil off id check these thing before installing a switch, everything but the solenoid should be a easy check. switch is nice but kinda a pain for normal driving not to mention a little hard on the trans and converter if common sense is forgotten.

·
Premium Member
16,224 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
My 95 was doing the very same thing. First I tried just doing a full fluid flush and added a can of BG transmission additive. It got a little better but still had the same problem but not as often. About a month later I blew a trasmission line, which dumped all the transmission fluid. So I got to replaced all the fluid again but this time I replaced the filter and cleaned the pan and put no additives. That was about 20,000 miles ago and it has never jumped in and out of lock-up again. Not only that my shift points moved up about 200 rpm.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well. put a switch in and it seemed to help havent really drove it along way to see if it would kick out. but i did put a quart of b&m trickshift in a week or so ago... i wonder if that did it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts