Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 95 12 valve. Idles fine,can get 2750 rpms. Problem is when under a load,no power,and before it shifts to high goes dead. Once I stop it cranks up,but can't make it far. Goes dead again. Thinking it must be sucking air somewhere,but it runs so good before putting it under load.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
That's almost certainly not air, that's a fuel restriction or vacuum in the tank. Loosen your fuel cap and test the truck. If that doesn't work, check/replace your fuel filter. Then take a 17mm wrench or socket and drop your prefilter (near and below the main fuel filter, connected to the lift pump with a short L shaped hose). Clean the prefilter with brake parts cleaner or something, and put it back on. Retest truck. If it's still doing it then my advice is to drop the fuel tank, remove the pickup assembly, and check the screen at the bottom of the pickup. There's a good chance that's plugged. While you have it out, look through whatever places you can see into the pickup assembly and see if your truck has the 4th fuel filter very few people know about. If it's there it'll be near the bottom of the assembly, inside it, and the fuel pickup hose will be slid onto it. You'll have to take the assembly apart to get to it. If not, I guess the hose will go all the way to the bottom of the assembly. My '98 had one, and it was very clogged. I removed it and threw it away. If you have one, you'll see what I mean.

While you're doing this, you may as well blow compressed air through the supply hose. Disconnect the supply hose at the front of the truck, where it goes up under the hood.

Put it all back together.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Deleted double post due to retarded computer or site taking 6000 years to post the first time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply. I am getting pressure buildup in my tank. Even after a couple of hours,I unsrew the cap,still pressure. I did take out the filter in the tank,and cleaned the prefilter. Was pretty dirty. Put on a new lift pump. Tried a lot,but nothing worked yet.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Pressure in tank? You're sure it's not vacuum? That could explain your problem-as you use fuel, if the vent is plugged then air couldn't get into the tank to replace the fuel. Result-vacuum, and a lift pump that's having trouble pulling fuel because of tank vacuum trying to pull fuel back to the tank.

Just to clarify, which tank filter did you remove? The screen on the bottom of the pickup, or did your truck have the 4th filter inside the pickup?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took the one out that was incased inside,and cleaned the bottom one. Today I changed the fuel filter,main one. Now the truck runs,and doesn't try to run out of fuel,but still no power. I can push the pedal abut an inch,or all the way down,barely pulls off. Takes maybe a mile to shift into high gear. I have a ford dually also,but it's a two wheel drive. It has power. I like my dodge,and want to put it back on the road. I've had my dodge about 4 years. Never had much top end,but will pull anything. Now,nothing

1 - 6 of 6 Posts